[solved] Does a Memory Check Error contribute to a HDD read error?

I have had a MCE occuring since mid December.  I've ordered some replacement memory that has been delivered and plan to install it tomorrow.  While awaiting the replacement memory, the parity drive alerted for read errors.  Before I reboot following the new memory installation I wanted to add the current diagnostic information.  It appears that the HDD read errors were corrected, but I wanted to ask for help in determining if the HDD read error might possibly be a false positive influenced by the memory errors.  If it is truly failing, I have no problem replacing the drive.  In this case would adding the old parity drive back to the data pool be an unreasonable risk.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

tower-diagnostics-20220110-1653.zip tower-smart-20220110-1648.zip tower-syslog-20220110-2300.zip

You have ECC, it does need to be fixed but not the reason for the disk problem.

Disk passed an extended SMART test recently. You should add attributes 1 and 200 to be monitored for all WD disks, that one has a single attribute 200 recorded.

Looks like parity check completed, did it have sync errors?

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will add attributes 1 and 200 to be monitored as you suggest. 

The parity completed with no errors.  The main screen shows there are 56 errors on the parity disk alone.  All other disks are 0.  I'm assuming these are all the correctable read errors. 

I believe I will use this opportunity to replace the parity with an 8TB option.  This will give me the latitude to begin incrementing the data drives to 8TB as the storage is consumed.  Unless I'm just being hyper paranoid, I'll not add the former parity drive back to the disk pool.  If the risk is is low to the point of non-existent then I'll be willing to add it back in.

• MacDaddy changed the title to [solved] Does a Memory Check Error contribute to a HDD read error?