Is My Connection Being Throttled?

Pstark
Go to solution Solved by Pstark,

I normally use WiFi (6) to connect to UNRAID and I started to try and figure out if I could get a faster transfer speed. I set up an NVME cache and it made no difference. I tried different file systems and then I just connected a ethernet adapter to my computer and I am STILL limited to 10MB/s. WiFi 6 or hardline is still the same speed. If I connect to my QNAP NAS and run the same OpenSpeedTest docker, I get 30-40MB/s. UNRAID and QNAP are both connected to the same 2.5gbe switch. 

It seems that UNRAID is limiting my connection but I can't find any setting that could be causing it. OpenSpeedTest shows a consistent speed right at 10MB/s

UNRAID Ethernet.png

QNAP Ethernet.png

UNRAID WiFi.png

I did a clean install by using the Unraid usb tool and did another speed test and it’s the same thing. 

I’m thinking the Ethernet is possibly the cause of this. It’s a Realtek 8111. After some research, I found that Realtek Ethernet doesn’t have the best reputation for use with Unraid. Does anyone have recommendations to make it work better?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 6:54 PM, Vr2Io said:

I try setup openspeedtest docker in an J1900 Unraid, test result great, only speed drop if I disable NIC offload, but still got 200Mbps+

Does your 2.5G switch have 1G port ? if yes, pls try connect Unraid to it and  provide "ethtool -k eth0" output.

I have tried connecting it to the router directly, a 1GBE switch, 2.5GBE switch and now a 10GBE NIC. All result in the same speed of ~100mbps. I will post the results of what you asked shortly.

32 minutes ago, Pstark said:

I have tried connecting it to the router directly, a 1GBE switch, 2.5GBE switch and now a 10GBE NIC. All result in the same speed of ~100mbps. I will post the results of what you asked shortly.

I was going to post what @vr2gbasked for but I found Unraid unresponsive and looked at it again and found it just power cycling repeatedly. I'm pretty sure the board is faulty. It keeps happening again and again. I'm going to get new board and go from there.

On 1/14/2022 at 6:54 PM, Vr2Io said:

I try setup openspeedtest docker in an J1900 Unraid, test result great, only speed drop if I disable NIC offload, but still got 200Mbps+

Does your 2.5G switch have 1G port ? if yes, pls try connect Unraid to it and  provide "ethtool -k eth0" output.

Yesterday, I found a new motherboard Asus Z370-a and got the NIC working correctly. 2.5g switch doesn't have a 1g port but I do have a separate switch on the network that is 1g. It didn't make any difference on speeds when connected to either switch. But below is the result of "ethtool -k eth0".

root@Tower:~# ethtool -k eth0
Features for eth0:
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
        tx-checksum-ipv4: off [fixed]
        tx-checksum-ip-generic: on
        tx-checksum-ipv6: off [fixed]
        tx-checksum-fcoe-crc: off [fixed]
        tx-checksum-sctp: on
scatter-gather: on
        tx-scatter-gather: on
        tx-scatter-gather-fraglist: off [fixed]
tcp-segmentation-offload: on
        tx-tcp-segmentation: on
        tx-tcp-ecn-segmentation: off [fixed]
        tx-tcp-mangleid-segmentation: off
        tx-tcp6-segmentation: on
generic-segmentation-offload: on
generic-receive-offload: on
large-receive-offload: off
rx-vlan-offload: on
tx-vlan-offload: on
ntuple-filters: off
receive-hashing: on
highdma: on [fixed]
rx-vlan-filter: on
vlan-challenged: off [fixed]
tx-lockless: off [fixed]
netns-local: off [fixed]
tx-gso-robust: off [fixed]
tx-fcoe-segmentation: off [fixed]
tx-gre-segmentation: on
tx-gre-csum-segmentation: on
tx-ipxip4-segmentation: on
tx-ipxip6-segmentation: on
tx-udp_tnl-segmentation: on
tx-udp_tnl-csum-segmentation: on
tx-gso-partial: on
tx-tunnel-remcsum-segmentation: off [fixed]
tx-sctp-segmentation: off [fixed]
tx-esp-segmentation: off [fixed]
tx-udp-segmentation: on
tx-gso-list: off [fixed]
fcoe-mtu: off [fixed]
tx-nocache-copy: off
loopback: off [fixed]
rx-fcs: off [fixed]
rx-all: off
tx-vlan-stag-hw-insert: off [fixed]
rx-vlan-stag-hw-parse: off [fixed]
rx-vlan-stag-filter: off [fixed]
l2-fwd-offload: off
hw-tc-offload: off
esp-hw-offload: off [fixed]
esp-tx-csum-hw-offload: off [fixed]
rx-udp_tunnel-port-offload: on
tls-hw-tx-offload: off [fixed]
tls-hw-rx-offload: off [fixed]
rx-gro-hw: off [fixed]
tls-hw-record: off [fixed]
rx-gro-list: off
macsec-hw-offload: off [fixed]
root@Tower:~# 

16 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

No abnormal found. Both mobo Z370 and B360 have same issue so it still look like network issue.
Could you temporary static Unraid and test PC IP setting , then direct connect them and test again, pls ensure both end have same MTU in 1500.

I’ll try what you said. Are you saying my router and computer should have the same MTU set to 1500? Not sure if my router can can be set (AmpliFi Alien).