NVIDIA decoding in Plex.

Fogey

I've checked online to see if I can get guidance on how too modify the Plex Docker to allow Nvidia decoding - I have a GTX 1650 Super card which worked fine when I was running Ubuntu 20.4.  SpaceInvader Ones very useful video on YouTube seems to be outdated as the LinuxServer Docker he uses now looks nothing like he shows in the video.

So I tried the Official Plex and tried modifications I found in forums:

To utilize your Nvidia graphics card in your Docker container (s) the basic steps are:

Add '--runtime = nvidia' in your Docker template in 'Extra Parameters' (you have to enable 'Advanced view' in the template to see this option)

Add a variable to your Docker template with the Key: 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES' and as

Value: 'GPU-bfae4133-52be-a950-788a........' <- this is my GPU UUID

Add a variable to your Docker template with the Key: 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES' and as Value: 'all'

Make sure to enable hardware transcoding in the application / container itself

Unfortunately, this gives me a failure and the Plex Docker won't load. Can anybody kindly point me to a later version of the setup instructions or perhaps a docker where these will work.

Thanks

Fogey

I think this is what you want:

Stopping container: Plex-Media-Server

Successfully stopped container 'Plex-Media-Server'

Removing container: Plex-Media-Server

Successfully removed container 'Plex-Media-Server'

Command:root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='Plex-Media-Server' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PLEX_CLAIM'='Insert Token from https://plex.tv/claim' -e 'PLEX_UID'='99' -e 'PLEX_GID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='GPU-bfae4133-52be-a950-788a-d1f6d879453b' -e 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES'='all' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/Plex-Media-Server/Transcode/':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Media/':'/data':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/Plex-Media-Server':'/config':'rw' --runtime = nvidia 'plexinc/pms-docker' 

docker: Error response from daemon: Unknown runtime specified =.
See 'docker run --help'.

The command failed.

Oops - corrected that and it works!  Thanks so much for your help again, particularly on a Sunday!  I must say it's taken me a few days to get on top of things with UnRaid (I'm 75 so not as fast as I was) , but I'm now feeling marginally more in control of it. I shall certainly become a subscriber.