USB Dongle passthough to Windows 7 VM

Hi all,

am trying to pass though Huawei USB dongle to Windows 7 VM.

VM detects USB modem as USB device. but it's not working as a modem.

will i be able to get it work and use for the internet browsing in Windows 7 VM?

Unraid 6.9.2

Screenshot 2022-01-24 144158.png

Edited by Moriarty
21 minutes ago, Squid said:

You would have the most success on any USB device by passing through the USB ports themselves instead of a device if its doable

Is there any way to connect the USB modem(dongle) to the Windows VM?

Currently Modem software installed in the WIndows VM not detecting the Modem.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:51 PM, ghost82 said:

Not so easy because your usb stick should expand into multiple usb devices after initialization, that's why the vm doesn't detect any modem.

As suggested passing the usb controller is the best option, if you have one to passthrough..

can you kindly elaborate more on this. any guides or steps would be really appreciate

There are no guides as far as I know, nor a known method to passthrough that usb stick modem; all I know is that the device may split into multiple usb devices after initialization.

Sending AT commands to the modem could also help in not initializing the stick in the host.

However you need to search and test by yourself.

What do you mean by 'separate'?Not bridged network or with a totally different network carrier? If it's the first, instead of passing through that stick, you can try to passthrough a wifi stick, pretty a standard device to passthrough compared to the 3g modem.

If you want a totally separated network I would opt for a 3g modem to allocate the sim with wifi capabilities + usb wifi stick to passthrough.

Edited by ghost82
10 hours ago, ghost82 said:

What do you mean by 'separate'?Not bridged network or with a totally different network carrier? If it's the first, instead of passing through that stick, you can try to passthrough a wifi stick, pretty a standard device to passthrough compared to the 3g modem.

If you want a totally separated network I would opt for a 3g modem to allocate the sim with wifi capabilities + usb wifi stick to passthrough.

Use a different network carrier (without using the bridged network which using for the Unraid), so the VM will be isolated from Unraid bridge connection. 

"3g modem to allocate the sim with wifi capabilities + usb wifi stick to passthrough."

i think this will be the solution.

usb WiFi Adapter will compatible with Unraid right?

• 2 weeks later...