Dell H310 unable to be detected ASrock Rack E3C236D4U

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a pre-flashed IT mode Dell H310 and have had absolutely no luck getting it to run on my unRAID box:

Setup 1 (unRAID):

Xeon E3-1245v6 

ASRock Rack E3C236D4U (Intel C236)

16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM

Setup 2 (HTPC)

AMD 2200G

ASrock B450M Pro4

16GB DDR4 

Windows 10 Pro

So far the cards been working perfectly in the seller's Dell R720 (Windows Sever 2008) as well as my own HTPC (Setup 2) with no issues. It also seems to be running the correct firmware (20.00.07.00) / bios (07.39.02.00) as shown in the picture attached to this thread)

This is what i've tried so far:

1. B5/6 Pin Tape Mod (card would not POST in the HTPC without it, but works perfectly with the mod applied, for the unRAID box it will POST with or without the mod, but the card is still not able to be detected either way)

2. Swapping PCI-E slots (tried both the x16 / x8 slot on the E3C236D4U)

3. Tried different CSM options (Legacy only and UEFI only)

Besides the card's BIOS not being visible upon boot, I've also noticed the green LED on the card is also not lit when plugged into the E3C236D4U.

When using the following command in the unRAID box:

sas2flash.efi -listall

I get:

No LSI SAS adaptors found! Limited Command Set Available!
ERROR: COmmand Not allowed without an adaptor!

If anyone has suggestions or anything else I could try to get this to work I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for the help in advance!

sas2flash.jpg

Dell H310.jpg

Edited by DracZ
6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Looks like a board compatibly issue, probably not much more you can do other than using a different board or different model HBA.

Thanks for taking a look JorgeB, appreciate you taking the time to confirm my suspicions. Would an LSI 9207-8i be a better bet you think? or perhaps a non-OEM 9211-8i?

I have the Dell H310 flashed to IT mode and running with no issues on an ASRock E3C246D4U. Prior to that it was installed on an E3C236 WSI. I don’t think it is incompatible with your board.

I did need to tape pins 5 and 6 to get the E3C236 WSI to boot with the H310 installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I have the Dell H310 flashed to IT mode and running with no issues on an ASRock E3C246D4U. Prior to that it was installed on an E3C236 WSI. I don’t think it is incompatible with your board.

I did need to tape pins 5 and 6 to get the E3C236 WSI to boot with the H310 installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think it would be either to be honest lol. I've already tried the tape mod, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick on the E3C236D4U. The heatsink is definitely warm to the touch but the green status LED remains off. Am I missing a BIOS setting somewhere maybe? 

4 hours ago, DracZ said:

Am I missing a BIOS setting somewhere maybe? 

I flashed the H310 to IT mode without the BIOS so no BIOS settings on the HBA itself.  I also did not need to set anything in the motherboard BIOS.  It was working fine on the C236 WSI (same chipset as your board) with a Xeon E3-1245 v5 processor and now works with my C246 board/Xeon E-2288G.

I wish I had some brilliant insight but I do not.  I just cross-flashed the card with the 20.00.07.00 firmware, did the tape mod and it all worked.

35 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I flashed the H310 to IT mode without the BIOS so no BIOS settings on the HBA itself.  I also did not need to set anything in the motherboard BIOS.  It was working fine on the C236 WSI (same chipset as your board) with a Xeon E3-1245 v5 processor and now works with my C246 board/Xeon E-2288G.

I wish I had some brilliant insight but I do not.  I just cross-flashed the card with the 20.00.07.00 firmware, did the tape mod and it all worked.

Pretty much the same experience I had with the B450M Pro4 setup, apply tape and it was good to go. Your setup seems like 90% similar,  no idea what's going on with mine. I just ordered a 9207-8i so hopefully that'll be a plug n play. Thanks again for the reply!

• 2 weeks later...