Random/Broken Folder Names When Viewing In SMB

Go to solution Solved by Gokuofuin,

Greetings

I have random folders which display as a strange string of letters and numbers "CXY595~5" however this is only on SMB, if I access the shares directly from the unraid browser then the filename is perfect. I have tested this on both android and MAC.

I have no special or strange characters in the names (apart from a "-"), they are all following the same scheme and most of them display correctly. Its just the random ones which do not. Also every now and then they will all display correctly and then revert back to the strange naming.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this from happening please.

Thank you

Screenshot 2022-02-14 at 12.50.23.png

• 10 months later...

Ok I had the same behavior for 3 folders in a share containing ~500 files & folders.
Due to the number of files/folders, it took me the whole day to troubleshoot the issue. For me the problem was the presence of the ":" char in the 3 messed up folder names.
I though I would post because this is the thread that put me on track to the solution after raging on this issue for the whole day. Hope it helps someone else :)

Is this a bug in unraid or in the smb client that my ubuntu vm is using ?

• 1 year later...

I had this same issue just recently that I noticed. A few days ago I turned off "Enhanced macOS interoperability" (set it to No) in unraid 6.12.9.  Then discovered I had a folder called "LZHJG6~C" a few days later.

I couldn't access the folder via windows explorer. I turned back on "Enhanced macOS interoperability" after stopping the unraid array and it no longer shows in Windows Explorer.

I have no idea why that fixed it...

2024-04-09_21-24-36