PLEASE HELP with mobo choice! (VERSION 2)

And you stop jumping into conclusions that are not deducted from valid arguments (or ANY arguments).

Fact #1: I find some technology that haven't seen before that allows me to use my existing stock of various disks. This technology is NOT available otherwise.

Fact #2: I have already asked a few valid questions regarding my future setup (since planning IS 80% of doing the job correctly and since going out to buy something that eventually will be useless to this project, would be stupid).

Fact #3: I got help and all help came from expert users, with no help from "Lime Technology" or the (probably single) man behind it.

Fact #4: To fully use this technology, I need to pay money. Now since I came here, there is nobody from "Lime Technology" to actually show that there is still someone out there to support me, not because he feels like it (like all the expert users here) but because he MUST (or at least because "he should"). Probably when you got your unRAID (s/w or h/w) there was a "Tom" here for you. Now that you have gained trust (and some expertise) in unRAID, that Tom is away doing something else (which could easily be forever - since there is no mention for the opposite), doesn't bother you and why would it.

Try to be in my shoes for a sec and think that I just came here, I *am* planning to buy and I *am* planning to build an unRAID array (and in fact not all from already available to me components but extra things I need to buy) and there is no Tom. In my shoes, how would you react. Would you step in and do it? To be honest I am even worried if anybody is there that will in fact validate my on-line transaction and in fact send me a key. Now, in my shoes (where I never seen Tom's presence in here and checked only to find out that his last response is 40+ days ago and that response wasn't even related to his future absence), wouldn't you be worried?

The only thing that would make think of an extra MS thingy in my office, is that MS WILL exist tomorrow (and probably much after we all leave this world). Now if I already had my working unRAID, I wouldn't really care, but BEFORE even building it, I think my worries are valid.

Sorry for the rest, I wasn't planning on bringing it up again (since I have to decided to actually have a go with this thing - provided someone is there to give me a key), but since I got reaction... I had to at least defend my attitude. For the last time; be in my shoes for a while and forget that you have a working unRAID and that when you first got in here, the WAS a Tom to reply if you had something to ask.

Now all this has nothing to do with if unRAID is for me or not.

If every-day performance means ripping DVDs to the unraid and viewing multiple video and audio streams, then no, PCI is fine.  For parity or running multiple file transfers from/to the unraid, then you need to eliminate every possible bottleneck.

That being said, many of us fit in the latter category yet are on the never ending journey for ultimate performance.  It's a guy thing.  ;-)

Bill