Where to copy data, if share is set to cache: prefer

Tjareson

Hi, 

I want to create another folder in /mnt/user/appdata. appdata is configured as prefer: cache. 

If I need to download data into this new folder with wget directly on the server, where do I download it to? To the array (/mnt/user/appdata/...) or to the cache? (/mnt/cache/...)

I'm not quite sure, where the setting "prefer cache" is intercepting the creating of a file/folder exactly. (as I would do a wget directly on the server, not from a client via SMB)

Would creating it newly in cache be sufficient  for mover to replicate it to the array later on? Or is it working the other way around? 

(Context is installation of LibrePhotos by the way.)

If you have Use Cache:Prefer then that indicates that you do NOT want it put on the array, but only on the ‘cache’ pool.    If you want it initially on the cache and later moved to the array you need to use the Yes setting.

With the Prefer setting it does not matter whether you use /mnt/user/appdata or /mnt/cache/appdata as they are just end up being different views of the same folders/files.

12 minutes ago, Tjareson said:

To the array (/mnt/user/appdata/...) or to the cache? (/mnt/cache/...)

/mnt/user/appdata is not necessarily the array, it is the user share named appdata. If appdata is cache-prefer, it will prefer to write to cache if it has room (based on Minimum Free settings).

15 minutes ago, Tjareson said:

wget directly on the server, not from a client via SMB

Nothing at all to do with SMB or any other network protocol.

15 minutes ago, Tjareson said:

mover to replicate it to the array later on

You seem to have some basic misunderstandings. It isn't replicated to the array. It might be moved to the array depending on the setting for the user share. Prefer will keep it on cache if it is written there.

ah, ok. So what I just notice is that there doesn't seem to be a mode, where data is kept on cache, but they are copied whenever the file is not open and mover runs. 

If either cache only or cache prefer usually all files will be only on the cache pool. All other options will make sure existing files will be move to the array or be created only in the array in the first place. 

My issue is: I don't have a cache pool, but only one SSD. Of course I like docker containers and e.g. mysql files to be on the fast ssd. But I wouldn't mind to have a daily copy of those in the array to have higher security than a single drive. But if I understand right, I have to do that then by script, as mover just helps to achieve the setting as per share configured, right?

Edited by Tjareson
typo