putting unraid into sleep and waking up within a schedule

I am looking for your views on this, as I am thinking about setting up a schedule so that my unraid server will go to sleep at night and then wake around noon the next day, 

the reason for this, is to reduce my eletric bill as at the moment it is shotting up like a rocket and I am looking for ways to reduce my bills.

the way I will wake the unraid up is via a Home Assistant to which I will create a rule to trigger the command from.

I am looking at the following docuemnation which I will use to base my sleep and wake up commands from.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Setup_Sleep_(S3)_and_Wake_on_Lan_(WOL)

On 2/21/2022 at 4:45 PM, itimpi said:

I actually do something similar except I do a full shutdown rather than putting the server to sleep.   I then have a setting in the BIOS to power the server on again in the morning.   Is there any reason you want to do a sleep rather than a full shutdown?

no there is no reason why I choose sleep over shutdown, as I was looking at different ideals, and at the moment I am not sure if my motherboard can do schedule power up's. this is something I have to look at.  

can you also inform me, that with the powering down and back up each day - have you experience any issues with unraid ?

3 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

can you also inform me, that with the powering down and back up each day - have you experience any issues with unraid ?

Seems to work fine for me.

The option to power up at a specified time was an option in my BIOS.   Some people go for the option to wake on LAN traffic, but I did not want this as I could have a random device on the LAN waking up the server in the middle of the night.

4 hours ago, itimpi said:

Seems to work fine for me.

The option to power up at a specified time was an option in my BIOS.   Some people go for the option to wake on LAN traffic, but I did not want this as I could have a random device on the LAN waking up the server in the middle of the night.

Forgive me for this newbie question.

How do you set up unraid so that the array starts when booted? In my installation it requires an admin username and password

2 hours ago, Shahmatt said:

Forgive me for this newbie question.

How do you set up unraid so that the array starts when booted? In my installation it requires an admin username and password

Disk settings, Enable auto start.

Unless you have encrypted drives, in which case you will need a bunch of extra work to enable auto start, and some security considerations as well, since the whole point of encryption is to not allow unauthorized access to the data on the drives, and auto start negates that if no one has to enter credentials to see the data.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Disk settings, Enable auto start.

Unless you have encrypted drives, in which case you will need a bunch of extra work to enable auto start, and some security considerations as well, since the whole point of encryption is to not allow unauthorized access to the data on the drives, and auto start negates that if no one has to enter credentials to see the data.

Thanks. Will give this a try later today. I had not realized that the disks and dockers start running even though the display requires a user login.

• 2 weeks later...