Upgraded CPU+mobo and lost a disk and missing key file

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I'm using Unraid 6.9.2

I had just gotten things somewhat stable and up and running (10 days into my trial).  Things were looking really good.  I had just added all my drives to the array and copied all my data over it.  The parity disk took all weekend to sync, but it was done.

Now I had some new hardware finally arrive, so shut the old server down, and swapped out the motherboard, CPU and RAM.  That was a bit of sideshow, as I had a motherboard that had an outdated BIOS which did not recognize my new Ryzen 5600x, but once I got that sorted, I popped in my unraid flash drive and fired it up.

It said one of my disks had a write error, and took it offline.  The disk itself seems to be fine, so I followed another thread on this forum, took it out of the array, and then put it back in again.  Unraid now says it's reconstructing the disk from parity.  Great!

However, unraid now says in the corner that it's missing the key file.  And, of course, I had not yet backed up my USB key to the cloud.

What do I do?  I can't do anything for the next 15 hours while the disk is being reconstructed.

Thanks.   I was not aware of the onboard controller with Ryzen board issue but will look into it more.

Unfortunately, I have already updated to the latest BIOS because the board didn't support the Ryzen 5600x processor, so that as an option is out.

I am aware of the USB-disconnect issue which is I why I upgraded in the first place, my previous motherboard was old didn't have enough SATA ports... the plan was to upgrade to this motherboard and then move those USB drives to the internal.

So the USB key (which was a Sandisk Cruzer Fit) was already plugged into one of the USB2.0 ports on the Gigabyte B350 Aorus M motherboard.

But I've moved all the disks and USB stick back into my previous machine, a Intel Core i5-3330 and it's all working fine.  Data on the one disk is being reconstructed from the parity disk, should take a day or so to restore it.

I guess my Ryzen-based motherboard just isn't ready for prime time.  I've ordered a new PCIe 4-port SATA card based on the ASMedia 1064 chipset, and will use that in the Ryzen system.  Not sure about how to fix the USB problem though.

But for now, I'm good (although working on a downgraded system).