Execution Error Help Please Passing Through Quad Intel 82580 Gigabit Network Card

mbc0
Go to solution Solved by ghost82,

Hi,

I have a 4 port NIC which I have managed to seperate on my HP Gen 8 Microserver using downstream all 4 ports are passed through but if I select any one of them (or all 4) I get the Execution error below.

I have tried VFIO allow unsafe interrupts also with no change.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Many thanks!

image.thumb.png.b7cea147c9c9ab8935fc661f8cd2334f.png

image.thumb.png.ebf37a7fb313746fe22f871b9e7fb2e5.png

image.thumb.png.bf27b2595aef53b30c4ff9d21b1ff348.png

image.png.a2c8c95d46f82594082dce2b0192eb02.png

tower-diagnostics-20220312-2018.zip

Edited by mbc0
Added Diagnostics
9 hours ago, SimonF said:

Take a look at this thread, Its for PFSense but may give you some pointers.

Hi, 

Thanks so much for your time and the link, I have followed everything that user had done but still cannot start a VM (Any VM) with group 11-14 

CPU Mode, Machine type or Bios make no difference sadly,

Is it possible that this card will not pass through? could it be that I need a different card? I see others have successfully passed through but maybe not for my hardware setup?

Again, thanks!

39 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

This is HP Proliant, so:

vfio-pci 0000:07:00.0: DMAR: Device is ineligible for IOMMU domain attach due to platform RMRR requirement.  Contact your platform vendor.

You have this boot arg:

intel_iommu=relax_rmrr

But I think you need kernel patch.

Here some readings:

Thank you for your reply, I had already discussed the problem with @ich777 here 

He asked me to post in VM Support as he thinks it is not an RMRR issue?

I'm afraid but I think it is, your logs point to the rmrr issue:

Qemu log:

pci,host=0000:07:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0: vfio 0000:07:00.0: failed to setup container for group 11: Failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted

Libvirt log:

qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:07:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0: vfio 0000:07:00.0: failed to setup container for group 11: Failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted

Syslog:

Tower kernel: vfio-pci 0000:07:00.0: DMAR: Device is ineligible for IOMMU domain attach due to platform RMRR requirement.  Contact your platform vendor.

I read that a patch is included in >=RC2.

The patch has some print instructions, "Intel-IOMMU: assuming all RMRRs are relaxable. This can lead to instability or data loss", if it's applied:

https://github.com/kiler129/relax-intel-rmrr/blob/master/patches/add-relaxable-rmrr-5_8_and_up.patch

but there is no trace in your syslog.

Edited by ghost82
39 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

Thank you, it states 6.9.0 RC 2 and up and I am on 6.9.2 so I presume the patch is included?  Hopefully @ich777 can confirm?

Oh sorry, didn't read that you are on 6.9.0, you have to be at least on 6.10.0-RC2 so that the RMRR patch is included in Unraid.

Where does it say that you have to be on 6.9.0 RC2 that it will work, I'll have to change that if that's wrong...

The Kernel-Helper isn't available anymore because nearly everything is included in Unraid itself or at least available through plugins.

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

Oh sorry, didn't read that you are on 6.9.0, you have to be at least on 6.10.0-RC2 so that the RMRR patch is included in Unraid.

Where does it say that you have to be on 6.9.0 RC2 that it will work, I'll have to change that if that's wrong...

The Kernel-Helper isn't available anymore because nearly everything is included in Unraid itself or at least available through plugins.

I think I fell into the trap on this thread as it is titled current, maybe that thread title can be changed if it is not current? This is where it states you need 6.9.0 RC2 & up and being on 6.9.2 and the fact I read the title of the thread as current.

CURRENT/NEW - UNRAID HP PROLIANT EDITION - RMRR ERROR PATCHING

image.thumb.png.e8f41544d40ca8eb5687fd6f2f6b4c9a.png

1 hour ago, ghost82 said:

I would suggest to backup your current unraid usb key and upgrade to the latest 6.10.0 RC3.

Apply the same boot arg and see if it gets solved, I wouldn't see any reason to not being able to solve this.

In case of troubles just restore the backup.

Am trying this now, thank you

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2022 at 1:05 PM, mbc0 said:

I think I fell into the trap on this thread as it is titled current, maybe that thread title can be changed if it is not current? This is where it states you need 6.9.0 RC2 & up and being on 6.9.2 and the fact I read the title of the thread as current.

CURRENT/NEW - UNRAID HP PROLIANT EDITION - RMRR ERROR PATCHING

image.thumb.png.e8f41544d40ca8eb5687fd6f2f6b4c9a.png

Current does not equate to RC/beta versions. Current pertains to stable versions. But I have updated that text to reflect that since there seems to be confusion.

• Like 1