How to move data off Cache?

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I'm very new to Unraid, but I have a 3TB drive I was using to store security video storage and inadvertently had it set to use the cache pool. My Cache drive is 512GB, but it has used up 369GB and I don't see it anywhere in the shares to delete. What do I do to remedy this? I change dthe option to "No" use cache pool for this share. 

image.thumb.png.0bcacd885d2c604ade2de8e1b5164fc7.png

The setting you changed only applies to NEW files.   Any existing files are left where they are as mover ignores any shares with the “No” setting.

if you want content to be moved from cache to array then you need the “Yes” setting and then run mover to get the files transferred to the array.   Note that open files cannot be moved so make sure you have nothing running that will hold the files open.

That looks OK except of course cache is very full. appdata and system are on fast pool (cache) as they should be, whether or not you want domain to stay on cache would depend on how large it gets. Your VMs can access Unraid storage so you don't generally need very large vdisks for them.

You have an ISO share on the array which is fine, but you have a Security share which according to your screenshot is also for ISOs. Not clear that needs to be on fast storage. Maybe you can just keep them on the array and unmount them from the VM after you are finished with install? Reading from the array is at the speed of the disk unlike writing with parity.

Since that Security share is cache-yes, it should move to the array. Mover won't move duplicates if they already exist on the destination, and nothing can move open files of course.

Movers finally got done so close to 419GB free on the cache now 😀. Makes since why it was not moving because I have VM running Blue Iris that records video to that security drive which is a WD Purple drive. I currently only have this WD purple drive in my array and I allocated a second VDisk that points to this array for the VM, but I put a max of 3TB so maybe I should of not used all of it so I could store other things? I was thinking that I keep the VDISK that has the OS installed on domain for speed on the VM. The only other VM I will have is a linux one running Home Assistant which shouldn't take too much space. The rest will be docker containers.

Testing proof of concept that I can run everything on one machine right now since I'm using two older pc's, but so far so good before. Definitely wish I had known about unraid before I purchased this Dell Precision so I could use it as a NAS too. I'm planning on adding some additional disk to the array and maybe another SSD for cache. They don't have to be the same size right? Same for the parity?

1 hour ago, CAL37 said:

They don't have to be the same size right? Same for the parity?

For multi-disk pools (cache) there are several btrfs raid modes. Unless you use single mode simpler if all disks in the pool are the same size.

For the array, disks don't have to be the same size, but no data disk can be larger than any parity disk.