Adding a NVME as a Cache drive issues

Hi all 

I am trying ot add a WD Black NVME drive as a cache drive and getting a weirdd issue .

I was using this drive in a USB3 case for a little while and thought i would whack into the HP Gen 8 as a cachee drive, before putting it in to the Gen i deleted the partition in Winddows , created the partition but did not format, i then put the drive in a NMVE to PCIE adaptor and ran it in Unraid.

The drive recongnizes but fails Preclear, if i assign to the cache pool and start the array the FS is showing as auto and i cannot seen to change it anywhere. I am unable ot format or mount the drive, i have attached the log for the drive itself 

Edit: looking at the settings for the cache pool the drive's Partion Format is unknown

log.txt

Edited by glenncol
Add more info
17 hours ago, itimpi said:

Have you tried setting the file system type BEFORE starting the array?  I would also suggest that you deleted any existing partitions first as Unraid normally wants to do the partitioning itself of any drive it is going to use.

Hi thank for your response.

I deleted the portions completely and got to set the file system to btrfs , I got the format button , hot format and it failed to format and the drive disappeared , I had to get over the same steps again and when I hit format , it came back complete but actually did not format.

Restating the unit the drive came up as unmountable again

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...