Flash drive often soft corrupts

I got this problem probably every 10-15 days ever since I started using Unraid and finally remembered to capture the logs before I resolved it again.

Basically, seemingly randomly, often exposed via performing an update of the plugins, the Flash drive gets reported by Unraid as unreadable or corrupt.

I then take the flash drive, chuck it into a windows PC, windows says it needs a repair, it performs the repair but doesn't find anything wrong, then I boot unraid again and carry on for the next block of time.

Flash Drive: Strontium Ammo 3.1 USB Flash Drive - 32GB

Datasheet: http://strontium.biz/wp-content/uploads/NITRO-AMMO-USB-3.1-Product-Datasheet.pdf

I have another of the exact same drive but I don't want to waste transfers, not really sure where to go from here.

Logs attached

kitsune-diagnostics-20220324-0919.zip

Edited by Codex

First thing is that your diagnostics file is from November 4th of 2021.

I would be replacing that Flash Drive ASAP.  Don't worry about 'using' transfers of licensing.  Lime Tech is very good about accommodating user requests in such matters. 

14 hours ago, Codex said:

Flash Drive: Strontium Ammo 3.1 USB Flash Drive - 32GB

I would be looking at another USB Drive.  Get one that has the name of a vendor that actually makes memory.  (You are after Quality in the flash drive that you use for your boot drive!)  Many of us feel that USB2 drives last longer if they run cooler.  (The faster the data transfer, the hotter the chips get...)  Speed of data transfer is not a big factor for the Unraid boot drive as the operating system is actually installed on a RAM disk as Unraid boots up.   A UBS2 flash drive might add an extra 2 seconds to the boot time!   There can be a problem today with actually finding a USB2 flash drive...

Plug it into a UBS2 port if possible.  (Unraid, for some unknown reason(s), occasionally has problems with USB3 ports with certain MB's, BIOS's, and, 😈 maybe, even the phase of the moon.)

You can find more information about Flash Drives including some current recommendations here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/119052-psa-on-sandisk-usbs/

15 hours ago, Codex said:

Basically, seemingly randomly, often exposed via performing an update of the plugins, the Flash drive gets reported by Unraid as unreadable or corrupt.

Assuming you're talking about the banner that appears, if you switch tabs in the OS does the banner go away?

8 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

First thing is that your diagnostics file is from November 4th of 2021.

Huh that was stupid, have edited the topic and attached the correct one now.

The log shows the errors with the drive pretty well.

I would be replacing that Flash Drive ASAP.  Don't worry about 'using' transfers of licensing.  Lime Tech is very good about accommodating user requests in such matters. 

This is good to know, cheers.

I would be looking at another USB Drive.  Get one that has the name of a vendor that actually makes memory.  (You are after Quality in the flash drive that you use for your boot drive!)  Many of us feel that USB2 drives last longer if they run cooler.  (The faster the data transfer, the hotter the chips get...)  Speed of data transfer is not a big factor for the Unraid boot drive as the operating system is actually installed on a RAM disk as Unraid boots up.   A UBS2 flash drive might add an extra 2 seconds to the boot time!   There can be a problem today with actually finding a USB2 flash drive...

Plug it into a UBS2 port if possible.  (Unraid, for some unknown reason(s), occasionally has problems with USB3 ports with certain MB's, BIOS's, and, 😈 maybe, even the phase of the moon.)

You can find more information about Flash Drives including some current recommendations here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/119052-psa-on-sandisk-usbs/

Yeah as far as USB2 drives goes the options are very slim pickings, with only Strontium, sandisk, and adata drives in the USB2 range.

Closest I'll get is this probably: Kingston 32GB USB 3.0 DataTraveler G4 https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MEMKIC33032/Kingston-32GB-USB-30-DataTraveler-G4-RedWhite-FLAS

🤔

7 hours ago, Squid said:

Assuming you're talking about the banner that appears, if you switch tabs in the OS does the banner go away?

Nah, it persists. Basically if the message appears, then I cannot use unraid normally again until I shut down and 'repair' the drive on a windows pc.

kitsune-diagnostics-20220324-0919.zip

• 4 weeks later...