Frequent crashes

Hello,

I'm receiving frequent crashes on my unRAID setup, unclear why. Diagnostics and syslog are attached here.

It does look like there's one error that pops up that could be a culprit:

pam_elogind(sshd:session): Failed to release session: Interrupted system call

But I'm not sure if that's what's causing the issue. 

When the crash occurs and I try to KVM into the server, there is no signal, so it seems like there is a kernel panic of some sort. 

Any help would be appreciated! thank you!

tower-diagnostics-20220510-1251.zip syslog-192.168.1.209.log

Edited by joshsalvi
May 10 09:09:41 Tower sshd[6744]: Closing connection to 192.168.1.172 port 55313
May 10 12:52:04 Tower kernel: BTRFS info (device nvme0n1p1): found 14 extents, stage: update data pointers

Nothing logged at the time of the crash, since you're using an iGPU it could be this issue, which unfortunately doesn't leave anything logged:

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/69x-610x-intel-i915-module-causing-system-hangs-with-no-report-in-syslog-r1674/?do=getNewComment&d=2&id=1674

3 minutes ago, joshsalvi said:

So it looks like I should disable the i915 module? I don't see that in my go file: 

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Or is there another place I should look?

It looks like this might be a BTRFS balance loop?

loadsby default post 6.10rc2

These drivers are required mostly for motherboard on-board graphics used in GUI boot mode.  Loading of a driver can be prohibited by creating the appropriate file named after the driver:

echo "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Alternately, the device can be isolated from Linux entirely via the System Devices page.  Note that in Unraid OS 6.9 releases the in-tree GPU drivers are blacklisted by default and to enabling loading a driver you need to create an empty "conf" file.  After upgrading to Unraid OS 6.10 you may delete those files, or leave them as-is.  This change was made to greatly improve the Desktop GUI experience for new users.

1 minute ago, joshsalvi said:

Great, thank you! 

So I can run 

echo "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

and that should blacklist the i915 driver?

It seems like this might be the easiest solution, but I also want to be cautious and not break the system!

Yes that is correct. plus reboot to take effect

Edited by SimonF