Supermicro 8 Port SATA 2 Card (PCI/PCI-X) AOC-SAT2-MV8 install

STxFarmer

OK, I am a total newbie but I have my first unRaid up and running, very happy with it so far and have data on both drives. Had a little issue with errors on the parity drive but that seems to have disappeared after I rechecked the parity drive. I received my Supermicro card today and would like to install it but was wondering if anyone here had any pointers before I screw up my system. Since I am running the latest version of unRaid, free for now but will be making the purchase of the OS in the next week, should this card be recognized? Will I have to make any changes to the config file or whatever? Any help would be appreciated before the install since the next two drives should be here anyday. I am installing it on a ASUS P5b-VM DO motherboard in a open PCI slot. This will go a long way for me to get up to the max of sixteen drives if this works.

Just popped it in the motherboard, put some tape on the end of the card so it wouldn't contact the heatsink, started unRaid, reassigned the hardrives to their proper place and everything works like a charm. Or at least I saw all my data on the drives. Now to see how it works day to day and if the drives spin down like they should. Drives did spin down when I hit the "Spin Down" button on the main page of unRaid. Due to the placement of the heatsink on the motherboard you can only use one of these unless you trim the heatsink to allow the second card. I now have 14 SATA ports on my server.

I need some advice about this card, actually any PCI card that has 8 ports.

For performance, which would be better, this card in one PCI slot or 2 Promise TX4 cards in separate PCI slots.

It shouldn't make any difference from a PCI bus standpoint.

Also, does anyone make a non-raid 8 port PCI-e card?

We haven't found any yet :(

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good, I have 8 drives hooked up to the Supermicro card and they seem to be working just like they should. Drives spin down, file transfer is fast, just no issues so far. I hope to have the last five drives going into the unRaid system in the next few days, just have to move the data to the new drives installed last night and then the final move of hardrives.