Help with NFS and SMB on the same Windows 11 workstation...

@ibbanez, You need to be looking at the owner, group permissions of the directories down at the file system level. ("Directories" is the Linux/UNIX term for what Windows calls "Folders".)  

Shares are (usually) an assembly of files from many different data disks.  I don't know how many data disks that you have but you will be looking at each one.  

================

EDIT:   Double Reaxxlin Farzzes!!!!  Be sure to look at the Emulation directory on each disk first before you start down the tree.  (Best to cover all bases.  Probably not a issue there but best to check...) 

=================

You will have to start with this command:

ls -al /mnt/disk1/Emulation

You look at the owner group and permissions for the     Roms   directory.  I should look like this:

image.png.8464d6f8640b928b245428558d5e9258.png

Now do the same for disk 2.  ( Use the arrow keys and you can edit the previous command)  It should look like this:

image.png.3c59a16fcefd8c55d5a1baa1a6f7863e.png

Repeat for all remaining disks.

Then move onto the directory Roms for each disk

ls -al /mnt/disk1/Emulation/Roms

and repeat the process looking at the   Nintendo 3DS    directory for every disk.

Then onto the  contents of the   Nintendo 3DS     directory.  Continue moving down the directory tree, branch by branch.  You may find that some disks don't contain a directory.  That is because the disk was not  used to store any data inside that directory.

Hopefully, you will find something that will be solvable.

If not, I know of only one solution, copy everything back to a Windows PC using NFS.  Then blow everything away on the server using NFS.  Copy it back using SMB.  (I don't know how long you have been experimenting with NFS but you may want to carefully look at any other share where you might have been using it.)

Edited by Frank1940

OK thanks, I will take a look.  Its just crazy.  I've been working in my movie folder and Bittorent Downloads folder from NFS, but those still show up fine in SMB. So far, its only been this one folder that is behaving this way.  Also, copying everything within UnRaid to a temp folder,  the same behavior started happening. 

I have 13 HDD + 1 Parity HDD, with 2xSSD in Raid0 configuration, but I don't use the cache drive for any of these shares.  OI'll take a look at each drive now and report back. Thanks for suggestions.

OK, as the earlier test, I had moved it from the initial location, so all this other info gatherings is from the new location.  All the permission seem legit.  I piped everything into a txt file for each disk and will upload them here.  Everything seems fine as far as I can tell, so I got nothing if I'm being honest.  I think at this point, Im gonna try your copying to my computer and and remove NFS and reupload it via SMB and see what happens.

permission_disk4.txt permission_disk5.txt permission_disk6.txt permission_disk7.txt permission_disk12.txt permission_disk13.txt

Ok, I compared files on these lists for the contents of the individual disks (in the Above post) to the file listing that you posted from the directory listing from SMB that you posted on the first page of this thread. 

All of the files that are missing from the SMB listing on on disks 12 and 13.    You need to go down the path from the root of both of these drives  to the 'Decrypted  3DS Games" directory layer-by-layer and look at the Owner, Group and permissions for each directory in the path for both drives.   

Theses should be as shown in this screen capture:

image.png.e79cb8b580a4427f9a0f074f5fdbdf9b.png

These are the permissions, the Owner and Group attributes that you should see for each directory as you move down each layer. 

EDIT:  for your information:

image.png.66c757da6293a5d7dcd6b8fffe48407f.png

Edited by Frank1940

ok, so if anyone is interested, while I still can't find a reason, and while all but 5 showed up before doing anything, I did remove NFS, as well as my mapped SMB drive, copied all the files to my Windows PC, deleted the folder from UnRaid, created it with SMB from the Windows PC, and then copied everything in.  All the permissions look exactly the same as when we were researching earlier, but they are all showing up now.  While I appreciate the time and help you guys attempted, and while this will probably bug me by simply not knowing why, I do want to thank you guys for at least looking at it with me, especially @Frank1940

• Like 2