HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 2TB 32MB 6.0 Gb/s @ NewEgg for $59.99 AR & ACC

Received my first replacement drive for the one in the picture I posted physically damaged. This replacement one was a Mar 2011. Came in a large box second box was white containing the drive. Drive was incased in bubble wrap. No signs of damage. This one powered up, I ran a smartctl on it first (as one thing that bothers me is waiting until preclear is completed before seeing SMART data, at 27 hrs per pass, it nice to quickly get your first SMART report before committing to the long hours.) all 0 zeros reported. Started my 2 cycle preclear on it now.

Now have to wait on my second replacement to come and receiving drive #3 and #4 tomorrow.

Second one came in today, also labeled Feb 2011, ready DOA same crappy packaging. No sign of physical damage on this one.

What the hell is going on... I got the RMA/Shipping label from newegg for the first one and was going to ship it out tomorrow, but now I will wait until I get the same of this second drive, before I go to the UPS store, save me one trip.

I have 2 more coming... arghhhhhhhh, normally I would be happy, now I am just paranoid.

They will be receiving some pretty words tomorrow.

Wow, you seem to have the worst luck with DOA hardware of anyone of these forums.  My condolences!

Second one came in today, also labeled Feb 2011, ready DOA same crappy packaging. No sign of physical damage on this one.

What the hell is going on... I got the RMA/Shipping label from newegg for the first one and was going to ship it out tomorrow, but now I will wait until I get the same of this second drive, before I go to the UPS store, save me one trip.

I have 2 more coming... arghhhhhhhh, normally I would be happy, now I am just paranoid.

I ordered two drives from this sale as well.  I'm just wondering, how many times did UPS drop-kick the box when yours was shipped? 

(And I hope I did not just jinx my shipment)

Mine arrived today.  Double boxed, inner boxes have black plastic bumpers supporting the drives in the middle of the box, brown crumpled paper between the inner boxes and the outer box.  Does not look like the UPS person drop kicked the box.  I've not yet plugged them into the server, but will do that over the weekend.

On yes, ordered only two days ago on the 25th.  Very quick shipping.

Wow, you seem to have the worst luck with DOA hardware of anyone of these forums.  My condolences!

Yeah, I guess  :'( but I do see many DOA posts when it comes to hard drives here... LOL. When I do the math of how much stuff I get thought the failure rate is small, i just HATE it when it happens, and especially back to back  :D

Mine arrived today.  Double boxed, inner boxes have black plastic bumpers supporting the drives in the middle of the box, brown crumpled paper between the inner boxes and the outer box.  Does not look like the UPS person drop kicked the box.   I've not yet plugged them into the server, but will do that over the weekend.

On yes, ordered only two days ago on the 25th.  Very quick shipping.

See I never get brown crumpled paper between the boxes, its always on the bottom and then the inner box on top, what is the F'in point if they dont put it between...

Well Replacement Drive #1 finished the first full preclear cycle 22hrs, its continuing on its second cycle as I write this. Drives #3 & #4 arrived. Mar 2011 and finally in the suspension plastic, once again. Inserted each one into the chassis they initialized and I see them, very good sign for me. I am waiting on the first drive to finish so I can update the preclear_disk.sh script to v1.11 and test that versions ability to view via unMENU myMain page. Replacement drive #2 is due on Tuesday.

One arrived DOA, not recognized by the BIOS regardless of which port/disk controller port/cable I attache it to,

the other I'm getting ready to pre-clear.  Both with the improved packaging... Both with March 2011 dates.

Oh well...

Joe L.

Posted by: dabl

So your preclear failed using the AOC-SASLP-MV8? 

That's disturbing.

When the drive failed the preclear it was not in my production server.  I have an older promise SATA card that I through in my test server that I was using.  It read the drive just fine.  I have never had a drive attached to this card that has been added to my array.  I am sure it was the card.  Also it's an older machine and I do not expect too much of it.

Posted by: Superorb

Insert Quote

All these DOA drives make you wonder what percentage of the total produced drives are DOA. Their QA is likely non existent, it's probably cheaper to crank out a bunch of questionable drives than to check the disks for errors before sending them out.

I have had a few drives that run seemingly fine under Windows that fail a preclear.  I think that HDD companies would rather the users pay the bill while they try and figure out the best way to have a working product.  So they release drives before they are ready for public consumption in hopes that they will work until the end of the warranty.  It just like a rebate.  They ship bad drives or drives that work well enough in hopes that the shipping and time to get a replacement will discourage us from doing so.  For example......

FYI guys, if you receive a DOA drive, and still want to participate in the MIR, you MUST SEND THE DIVE TO HITACHI, NOT NEWEGG

I am at the point that i am willing pay few extra bucks and tax to get drives at microcenter simply so i can just go up the street and exchange it no questions asked within 30 days. plus i get it the day i order it.

obviously, if a sale is huge!! and you can get at least 5, then I'll buy them in bulk and deal with new egg RMA's. They are sort of painless. it just takes a while.

The last time i had to send back 3 bad drives to new egg from an order of 12 drives, they asked if i want to return the entire batch and sent a call tag.. i didn't even ask for it.

Yes, I sent all 12 back and got a different brand.

As far as MIR, I never count on them until after I get them back. After doing hundreds of those things. it feels like a  50% chance you see it anyways.

^^ I was in MC last week, and the 5K3000 2TB drives were all $80 plus tax. That's a lot more than the newegg price, especially when you buy more than 1 of them. Also, the MC OEM drives were just thrown in a hard plastic security case with no cushioning, so every time it's moved the drive bounces around in the case. That's not something I like to see.

The MC by my house did away with the plastic boxes. they are now in cardboard with plastice drive holders in the the boxes. then wired shut with an anti theft device.

Similar to how newegg is shipping drives.

and yeah they are $75 off the shelf for 5k3000, WD ears and sammy F4's

Mine arrived today.  Double boxed, inner boxes have black plastic bumpers supporting the drives in the middle of the box, brown crumpled paper between the inner boxes and the outer box.  Does not look like the UPS person drop kicked the box.   I've not yet plugged them into the server, but will do that over the weekend.

On yes, ordered only two days ago on the 25th.  Very quick shipping.

See I never get brown crumpled paper between the boxes, its always on the bottom and then the inner box on top, what is the F'in point if they dont put it between...

Well Replacement Drive #1 finished the first full preclear cycle 22hrs, its continuing on its second cycle as I write this. Drives #3 & #4 arrived. Mar 2011 and finally in the suspension plastic, once again. Inserted each one into the chassis they initialized and I see them, very good sign for me. I am waiting on the first drive to finish so I can update the preclear_disk.sh script to v1.11 and test that versions ability to view via unMENU myMain page. Replacement drive #2 is due on Tuesday.

First replacement drive completed and passed a 2 cycle preclear 38.5hrs total.

Drives #3 & #4 are currently preclearing with v1.11. Second replacement drive arrived yesterday Feb 2011, initializing and is now preclearing as well.

So no rhyme or reason, Feb or Mar just comes down to Manufacture’s QA process, their shipping and newegg’s handling of the drives and packaging and local shippers handling of the package. Basically like playing the lotto.