CPU is Unsupported on boot after update

Well, I hit my first ever major Unraid issue today. I was running 6.10.3 RC3? Whatever the last one was before 6.10.3 stable. I've been running now for several months, and always on the next channel with no issues. Today, I updated to 6.10.3 final, got the message that the plugins were all up to date, and clicked reboot. The server never came back online. After hooking up KVM, I saw the CPU is unsupported message during Unraid boot. I tried booting in safe mode, and received the same error.

I'm running a Ryzen Threadripper 1950X on a Gigabyte X399 Arous Gaming 7 motherboard. It's worked flawlessly with Unraid up until this point. I did a forum search and tried disabling C-States to see if it would make a difference and it did not. The hardware was never physically touched before or after the update, so I have no idea why I'm suddenly getting a CPU unsupported error. 

I'm new to troubleshooting, but I really want my server online, so I'm going to try a fresh USB stick, and see if that will let me at least boot? Any other suggestions or any clue in the world why this happened?

I also have been seeing this message about CPU UNSUPPORTED during boot.

Was not really worried about it.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
American Megatrends Inc., Version P4.30
BIOS dated: Wed 23 Feb 2022 12:00:00 AM AEST

Latest BIOS and boot does not slow or hang when message displayed, successful boots

Edited by cwalkin
updated info
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having this same issue as well.

Now my Server refuses to fully shutdown.

It hangs with a Kernel panic when shutting down/rebooting.

Otherwise works correctly as long I do not shutdown/reboot.

system:

AMD Threadripper 3970X (24 core 48 thread) on an Gigabyte Aorus Pro WIFI TRX40.

Any recommendation?

And no, its not a MCELOG error.

Edited by tamalero
On 8/1/2022 at 5:57 PM, trurl said:

attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread

Here you go.

cesnas-diagnostics-20220804-0415.zip

And you were right, I see now the MCELOG error in the other diagnostics tab.

Jul 30 17:18:28 CesNAS kernel: ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20210730/psobject-220)

Jul 30 17:18:28 CesNAS kernel: floppy0: no floppy controllers found

Jul 30 17:18:28 CesNAS kernel: ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000B00-0x0000000000000B08 conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000000B00-0x0000000000000B0F (\GSA1.SMBI) (20210730/utaddress-204)

Jul 30 17:18:29 CesNAS mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 23: mcelog does not support this processor. Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead.

Edited by tamalero

The mcelog error message is a red herring and is unrelated to the OP's problem. The message itself explains the situation, namely that

mcelog does not support this processor

The solution is to

use the edac_mce_amd module instead

To find which processors are supported by mcelog, type the following:

root@Pusok:~# mcelog --help
Usage:

mcelog [options]  [mcelogdevice]
Decode machine check error records from current kernel.

--help	             Display this message.

Valid CPUs: generic p6old core2 k8 p4 dunnington xeon74xx xeon7400 xeon5500 xeon5200 xeon5000 xeon5100 xeon3100
xeon3200 core_i7 core_i5 core_i3 nehalem westmere xeon71xx xeon7100 tulsa intel xeon75xx xeon7500 xeon7200
xeon7100 sandybridge sandybridge-ep ivybridge ivybridge-ep ivybridge-ex haswell haswell-ep haswell-ex broadwell
broadwell-d broadwell-ep broadwell-ex knightslanding knightsmill xeon-v2 xeon-v3 xeon-v4 atom skylake
skylake_server cascadelake_server kabylake denverton icelake_server icelake-d snowridge cometlake tigerlake
rocketlake alderlake lakefield sapphirerapids_server

and to check whether the edac_mce_amd module is loaded:

root@Pusok:~# lsmod | grep mce
edac_mce_amd           32768  0

This confusion would be avoided if mcelog was only run after first checking for a compatible CPU by invoking it with the --is-cpu-supported option. This is the result with an AMD CPU:

root@Pusok:~# mcelog --is-cpu-supported
mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 23: mcelog does not support this processor.  Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead.
root@Pusok:~#

a bash script could easily suppress the error message and check the return code for a non-zero value. For comparison, here's the result with an Intel Ivybridge CPU:

root@Northolt:~# mcelog --is-cpu-supported
root@Northolt:~#

Finally, just to confirm that the Intel server doesn't have the edac_mce_amd module loaded:

root@Northolt:~# lsmod | grep mce

EDIT: I've submitted a feature request to get rid of the error message.

Edited by John_M
Submitted feature request
On 8/4/2022 at 4:53 PM, John_M said:

The mcelog error message is a red herring and is unrelated to the OP's problem. The message itself explains the situation, namely that

The solution is to

To find which processors are supported by mcelog, type the following:

root@Pusok:~# mcelog --help
Usage:

mcelog [options]  [mcelogdevice]
Decode machine check error records from current kernel.

--help	             Display this message.

Valid CPUs: generic p6old core2 k8 p4 dunnington xeon74xx xeon7400 xeon5500 xeon5200 xeon5000 xeon5100 xeon3100
xeon3200 core_i7 core_i5 core_i3 nehalem westmere xeon71xx xeon7100 tulsa intel xeon75xx xeon7500 xeon7200
xeon7100 sandybridge sandybridge-ep ivybridge ivybridge-ep ivybridge-ex haswell haswell-ep haswell-ex broadwell
broadwell-d broadwell-ep broadwell-ex knightslanding knightsmill xeon-v2 xeon-v3 xeon-v4 atom skylake
skylake_server cascadelake_server kabylake denverton icelake_server icelake-d snowridge cometlake tigerlake
rocketlake alderlake lakefield sapphirerapids_server

and to check whether the edac_mce_amd module is loaded:

root@Pusok:~# lsmod | grep mce
edac_mce_amd           32768  0

This confusion would be avoided if mcelog was only run after first checking for a compatible CPU by invoking it with the --is-cpu-supported option. This is the result with an AMD CPU:

root@Pusok:~# mcelog --is-cpu-supported
mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 23: mcelog does not support this processor.  Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead.
root@Pusok:~#

a bash script could easily suppress the error message and check the return code for a non-zero value. For comparison, here's the result with an Intel Ivybridge CPU:

root@Northolt:~# mcelog --is-cpu-supported

Finally, just to confirm that the Intel server doesn't have the edac_mce_amd module loaded:

root@Northolt:~# lsmod | grep mce

EDIT: I've submitted a feature request to get rid of the error message.

I have run the command to locate the MCE_AMD file and its present.

What needs to be done so I still do not get the error?

If I have the AMD one present, why I am still seeing the error?

@trurl: Were you able to check the logs?

Is it just me or it shows an amateurish approach not to support by default AMD products and  where the solution proposed is for the user to load a different module? This should be taken care by unraid, that is what we pay the license for. BTW, I am another unhappy customer who cannot get unraid 6.10.3 to boot because I have a threadripper.

I canot even load the alternative module by myself as I never get to the point where I can run a terminal.

5 minutes ago, RenatoEurope said:

who cannot get unraid 6.10.3 to boot because I have a threadripper.

Unraid will still boot, just mcelog won't load, the unsupported CPU message is just about that, LT already mentioned that in the future mcelog will be replaced wit rasdemon, that one also supports newer AMD CPUs.

• 1 year later...
On 8/16/2022 at 1:14 PM, JorgeB said:

Unraid will still boot, just mcelog won't load, the unsupported CPU message is just about that, LT already mentioned that in the future mcelog will be replaced wit rasdemon, that one also supports newer AMD CPUs.

Is this still a problem?

Nov  5 07:37:19 Unraid root: mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 23: mcelog does not support this processor.  Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead.
Nov  5 07:37:19 Unraid root: CPU is unsupported

I got this today on 6.12.4