Issue with Plex Transcoder

Hi All,

Was making some recent changes and think I broke something.  Ended up reinstalling my appdata from a backup.  Noticed this morning that my plex transcoder was pinning a core and had been running for 6 hours with 0 streams active.  I think this was going on and I didnt notice since I direct play everything at home.  Was checking the logs and noticed the following error:

Jobs: Exec of /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/EasyAudioEncoder-1785-linux-x86_64/EasyAudioEncoder/EasyAudioEncoder failed. (13)

Seems this is happening only when eac3 codec is used which is most of my WEB-DL stuff.  I googled around and noticed it might be a permissions issue.  Checked permissions on the codec folder and wasn't seeing anything amiss.  Has anyone run into this before?  I cant seem to stream most of my library at the moment, most likely my users cant either.  Any help would be appreciated!!

One thing I would try first is to delete all of the codecs in your Plex appdata codecs folder.  It has been a long running issue with plex, where a codec gets corrupt and causes a playback issue.  When you restart Plex, it will go out on the internet and reload the folder with the current set of codecs.

This issue is specific to Plex, on all platforms, not just Unraid.

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...
On 6/28/2022 at 2:24 PM, ConnerVT said:

One thing I would try first is to delete all of the codecs in your Plex appdata codecs folder.  It has been a long running issue with plex, where a codec gets corrupt and causes a playback issue.  When you restart Plex, it will go out on the internet and reload the folder with the current set of codecs.

This fixed my issue that was plaguing me as well. I just didn't have it personally as I tend to use Plex for Kodi, so it handles all the playback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 7 months later...
On 6/29/2022 at 4:24 AM, ConnerVT said:

OMG, thank you. I moved my Plex to new hardware and transcoding was not working. This solved the issue.

• Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

omg... thank you... I have been having playback issues since migration from Unraid Docker to QSV OTiS Plex Linux Ubuntu box. I used rsync to get the app data files. After much troubleshooting and headaches, wiping codecs (sudo rm -r /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/'Application Support'/'Plex Media Server'/Codecs) rebooting, all the videos instantly plays back!

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
On 6/28/2022 at 2:24 PM, ConnerVT said:

Hello, 

I attempted this without success. 

I have content that is in EAC5.1 that does work as it should, then other content that is EAC5.1 that previously worked -- which now does not. 
I attempted to delete the codecs out of the local plex HTPC folder and re-load it, and it does not work on these 4k files... im puzzled to why it stopped playing EAC on only the 4k EAC files?

Any suggestions?

EDIT: 
Sorted it out via some testing, it is due to the local network 

Edited by bombz
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/28/2022 at 1:24 PM, ConnerVT said:

This resolved my issues. Many thanks! If anyone sees this, your codecs are located here: https://support.plex.tv/articles/202915258-where-is-the-plex-media-server-data-directory-located/

Delete the whole "codecs" folder.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...