Help! I think I might be suffering from uCD.

PeterB

Am I afflicted by uCD?  I have a total of 3TB storage, yet it's in a case with nine 5.25" bays.  I've already upgraded the psu to a Seasonic X650, and I've installed an 8-port SAS/SATA card although only five of my six mobo ports were in use.  Also, I'm attempting to purchase three 5 in 3 drive backplanes.

Can I obtain medical assistance?

LOL I have a test key and well most of test server built.

I would suggest being cautious......  This is how it always starts.  Pretty soon you will be buying a second Pro key and getting a test server up and running.  Not that I would know anything about that. ::)

Am I afflicted by uCD?  I have a total of 3TB storage, yet it's in a case with nine 5.25" bays.  I've already upgraded the psu to a Seasonic X650, and I've installed an 8-port SAS/SATA card although only five of my six mobo ports were in use.  Also, I'm attempting to purchase three 5 in 3 drive backplanes.

Not sure if that's UCD - maybe it is once you've assembled the parts.

For now, I would suggest that it's probably the preliminary condition known as CHAD - Compulsive Hardware Acquisition Disorder.  As a fellow sufferer of this malady, you have my sympathy.  If you are married, then your wife probably also has my wife's sympathy.  :P

For now, I would suggest that it's probably the preliminary condition known as CHAD - Compulsive Hardware Acquisition Disorder.

Errr ... this system has been running, and slowly being upgraded, for many months.  The main problem is obtaining the components here in Philippines.

As a fellow sufferer of this malady, you have my sympathy.  If you are married, then your wife probably also has my wife's sympathy.   :P

Yep, married.  At least the present Mrs B is sympathetic towards my techno interests.

The first Mrs B complained that my 32" TV was too big.  The present Mrs B wanted to buy the 55" set when I thought that the 46" was big enough!

For now, I would suggest that it's probably the preliminary condition known as CHAD - Compulsive Hardware Acquisition Disorder.

Errr ... this system has been running, and slowly being upgraded, for many months.  The main problem is obtaining the components here in Philippines.

As a fellow sufferer of this malady, you have my sympathy.  If you are married, then your wife probably also has my wife's sympathy.   :P

Yep, married.  At least the present Mrs B is sympathetic towards my techno interests.

The first Mrs B complained that my 32" TV was too big.  The present Mrs B wanted to buy the 55" set when I thought that the 46" was big enough!

My Mrs L. had no problem with the 72" front-projection Sony we purchased in 1983, nor the 110" screen and Barco projector in our home-theater that eventually replaced it about 9 years ago.  When you think that we've had a front projection large-screen TV in our home for 28+ years, it puts me a tiny bit ahead of the curve. 

It was Mrs L. who asked for a LAN connection in our bedroom so she could watch movies from our unRAID server there while laying in bed.  I think I have CHAD, and she gets to enjoy the benefits of it.  Marriage does not mean you give up all the toys, it just means you get to share them.  (This week I ordered two more 2TB drives... room for growth you know, and to store more movies.)  I'm currently running additional LAN connections to all the bedrooms in the house for networked set-top-boxes and XBMC media players.  It will be interesting.  No need for any sympathy... being a geek is fun. Having a wife ask for more LAN ports, priceless.

Joe L.

I guess that I should explain my reluctance to accept the 55" TV .... the 46" cost the equivalent of GBP4,500 here in Philippines - the 55" would have been the equivalent of GBP10,000  (that's ~USD7,000 and more than USD15,000).

Oh, and Mrs B the first, would go into the other room to watch the 21" 4:3 screen, even if the 32" widescreen was already on.

All this thread proves is that i need to purchase this so called "wife upgrade"....

Although i am making headway.

I had borrowed a HD projector from work for a week to test it out.

After a week of HD at about 100", and then returning it, She suggested we upgrade the living room 48" to a 55" we saw at costco.... on the condition the 48" would go into the bedroom to replace the 32" in there and not into the "Computer lair" as she calls it. i guess the 48" looked tiny after the projector.

I never mentioned that this move required a new surround upgrade. ;D

I think her concern was cost not techno dribble... she rather spend $450 on a new coach purse... ~shrug~ women.

She still has not noticed (or at least mentioned it) the New Norco..

UPS had delivered it while she was at work.

then again, i drag so much crap home from work she might have assume it was from a rack there.

I guess i should go back in time and point out that the 48" TV is 7 months old and I got flak everyday for 3 months about " it was a waste of money and I should have gotten it, boys and their toys!". then again she never asked the price and I could have afforded 10 of them.

The old  32" tube TV is fine, who needs widescreen?

yes, she was on of those people tat would pick a DVD  up for me in pan and scan and not understand the difference and then complain about the  black lines at the top and bottom...

now she wanted an upgrade.. but she is still against 3D... even if it is cheaper.

All this thread proves is that i need to purchase this so called "wife upgrade"....

Although i am making headway.

I was expecting a completely different story after this point... ;D

Me too, and from what I've seen from the experiences of others, it can get VERY expensive. 

(as the ex-governor of California is learning)

I wouldn't call it UCD yet...but something to watch out for.  UCD sets in when your main server is 100% complete and perfect, nothing left to improve, and yet you still have that itch to build something.  Then comes the test server, the prototype builds, etc.....

Well just about to start buidling my 2nd server using the HP Microserver, as I wanted something smaller

and more eco friendly. Then will be transferring the HDs over to the new server.

I dont think im suffering from UCD or CHAD etc...

The wife couldnt see the point of me spending £££ years ago when I first took the steps towards UNRAID & XBMC.

But now she loves it and easily downloads movies herself. I told her the other day about Sickbeard and she

wants it!

Archived