Another disk upgrade question (hopefully a quick one)

I purchased a few 8TB drives to start upgrading my 6TB's. In the meantime one of my 6TB has failed so I can't replace the parity drive 1st or I will lose everything on (failed disk) right?

The disk that has failed is one of the ones I was going to replace with this 1st batch of new drives anyway so can I put a new 8TB in it's place and let it rebuild and then upgrade parity to 8TB? (understanding that the whole drive will not be available because of the parity size)

If yes, will the whole new drive become available after I upgrade parity to 8TB?

If you think this is a risky move I would rather wait the few days for shipping and just get another 6TB to get this done, my data is worth more than the cost of a throwaway drive.

I read through the info on the link that you sent and I'm still a little foggy on the procedure. It wants me to replace the parity AND the data drive simultaneously and then rebuild. If I do that then where will the correct parity information come from if a whole data drive is missing?

Another paragraph says that I can copy the parity onto a new drive but I don't see that option on the unRaid software

Quote from the link.

unRAID will recognize that you are trying to do a 'Parity Swap'. It needs to see a disabled data disk with forgotten ID, a new disk assigned to its slot that used to be the parity disk, and a new disk assigned to the parity slot.

Assign the current parity disk to the failed disk slot, and assign the new drive to the parity slot. It should prompt to copy the parity information to the new drive. followed by rebuilding the failed slot onto the old parity drive.

1 hour ago, JonathanM said:

Read through this, and if you are not 100% on what you are to do and why, attach your diagnostics to your next post in this thread and ask for clarification.

IMO follow this guide first... and then do the parity swap... https://wiki.unraid.net/Replacing_a_Data_Drive

to put things simply... shut down the array... replace the failed drive... power on the machine... stop the array... select the new data drive in place of the failed drive... start the array... this will rebuild the failed drive(this will take around 12h or more)... after that's done... then and only then would i proceed with the parity drive replacement... 

But again... BEFORE doing anything please read the guides and be sure that you have all the information and questions(answered) before proceeding... and also echoing Jona attaching Diags would help us understand what is happening, so that we can best help you

3 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Quote from the link.

Assign the current parity disk to the failed disk slot, and assign the new drive to the parity slot. It should prompt to copy the parity information to the new drive. followed by rebuilding the failed slot onto the old parity drive.

While this could work... wouldn't the safest way forward be replacing the failed drive first and then replacing the parity drive?

While this guide suggest 2 steps in one... doing each step separately be the safer option? 

You can't replace a data drive with a disk larger than parity, thus the parity swap procedure.

Put simply, unless you already HAVE an 8TB parity drive, you can't replace a failed 6TB data drive with an 8TB.

The OP implied his parity was 6TB, thus the requirement to do the parity swap procedure. I have no way of knowing how big his parity drive is without diagnostics.

2 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

You can't replace a data drive with a disk larger than parity, thus the parity swap procedure.

Put simply, unless you already HAVE an 8TB parity drive, you can't replace a failed 6TB data drive with an 8TB.

The OP implied his parity was 6TB, thus the requirement to do the parity swap procedure. I have no way of knowing how big his parity drive is without diagnostics.

Reading the notes of the guide... You are Correct! (even after using this software for nearly 10 years... I still have much to learn)

So OP... Please lean to Jona's suggestion with the swap guide... 

As a side question Jona... would it be possible for OP to build a second parity drive(using the 8tb drive) and then rebuild the failed data drive with a 8tb one?

4 minutes ago, Dropkick Murphy said:

My current parity (and all other drives are 6TB). I'm downloading the diagnostics right now but it's taking a while. is it normal to take over 10 minutes?

Diags for me takes a few minutes... depending on the logs and the number of drives and dockers/plugins... that number will vary...

but please give them a chance to complete...