Full cache stops rsync even though share set to "use cache: Yes"

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Just trying find out if this is intended behavior:

I have a disk mounted with Unassigned Drives plugin. I am trying to copy its contents to the array. The command I used is:

cd /mnt
rsync --progress -ra disks/Y5J326NC/BerkesHDD/ user/ManuelBackup/BerkesHDD/

However, rsync fails when my cache is full: 

2,457,600   7%    2.23MB/s    0:00:12  rsync: [receiver] write failed on "/mnt/user/ManuelBackup/BerkesHDD/sd_cards/2018 all nikon z6/Simla Shoot/DSC_0442.NEF": No space left on device (28)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(378) [receiver=3.2.3]

rsync: [sender] write error: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at io.c(823) [sender=3.2.3]

But my settings for that device should start writing directly to the array when the cache is full?

644061581_ScreenShot2022-07-05at19_05_06.thumb.png.1175062ee22a5f5d2eafea9bbda6f138.png

Why would this happen?

I know I can bypass cache by using user0 instead but I want to know why this is the case. 

Edited by tTIKA
  • Solution

If cache drops below Minimum Free, cache:yes (and prefer) shares will overflow to the array, but you have 0 Minimum Free for cache. You must set Minimum Free for cache to larger than the largest file you expect to write to cache.

Each user share has a similar setting. If a disk drops below Minimum Free when writing the user share, Unraid will choose another disk. Except... Split Level overrides Minimum Free.