My Servers Error Message: "DNS issue, unable to resolve wanip4.unraid.net" but still reachable

Go to solution Solved by lcadmedia,

Hi,

I just recently got this My Servers Error Message:  "DNS issue, unable to resolve wanip4.unraid.net" but I can remote access actually works.
Not sure why it's saying that, though, I recenlty have set up pihole and set my unraid server's DNS to my Router which points back to pihole's Server, and router's IP as backup, but set router's DNS to point to pihole as well.

attaching screenshot for reference.

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 11.04.05 AM.png

Edited by kbnomad
1 hour ago, JonathanM said:

Why? There is no good reason to do that. Set Unraid's DNS to a reliable external source like 1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9.9, or google's DNS of 8.8.8.8.

That's what I understood from the forums to route everything to pihole and have pihole set the DNS to 1.1.1.1.

I set my Unraid's DNS IP to my Router's then my router's DNS is pointing to pihole which uses the 1.1.1.1 DNS Server.

What would be the best way to go about it?

Edited by kbnomad
35 minutes ago, danielmid84 said:

There's no reason to bypass pihole for Unraid

Let me turn that around. Why does Unraid itself need to run through pihole?

The issue that comes up over and over again is when people run pihole as an application on Unraid, normal and necessary communication is blocked during the startup process until the pihole app is running, and when the array is stopped, Unraid is no longer able to communicate.

This isn't about whether pihole as a concept is capable of allowing Unraid to work through it, it's about running a necessary network service as an application on Unraid that doesn't run during initial startup or during normal shutdown.

5 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Let me turn that around. Why does Unraid itself need to run through pihole?

The issue that comes up over and over again is when people run pihole as an application on Unraid, normal and necessary communication is blocked during the startup process until the pihole app is running, and when the array is stopped, Unraid is no longer able to communicate.

This isn't about whether pihole as a concept is capable of allowing Unraid to work through it, it's about running a necessary network service as an application on Unraid that doesn't run during initial startup or during normal shutdown.

I agree with what you said, however, OP never mentioned pihole being an unraid docker or service, just that the router is pointing to the pihole for dns, which is the correct set up.

7 hours ago, danielmid84 said:

There's no reason to bypass pihole for Unraid, the answers should have directed you to start with the logs in pihole to see if that address was being blocked from unraids IP then work from there.

There are many ways to complicate your network, that doesn't mean they can all be supported :) 

When someone asks for help the goal is to get them back to a working state, that often means simplifying things until it works. Once it is working if they want to complicate things again that is fine, but it should be clear then that the issue is related to the complication (pihole) not the thing that pihole broke.