We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

6.8.2 Win10 VM shows started but is not. *SOLVED*

Go to solution Solved by xlucero1,

I haven't upgraded to 6.9 and 6.10 yet because I use the VM for work & worry about nextcloud data, passwords & losing photos. I can, and plan to upgrade soon, especially if this is the easiest solution. 
- My server was maxed out on storage last night; so I was using the VM to clean the server/media/array (working fine).

- I cleared the Recycle Bin plugin which had over 100GB of data. (maybe I deleted something in here, yet was working fine before)

- *The vdisk1.img I noticed is using used 75gb, even though I only allocated 70gb to it originally. (suspect. I turned off VM around 1230ish).730456957_ScreenShot2022-07-11at2_56_59PM.png.b85b678e014cb46037ba6a4fa7a3a5cc.png1280177042_ScreenShot2022-07-11at3_34_38PM.thumb.png.eafe81c1f74cd3d23e2775686441d6d0.png

- I am noticing my "isos" and "vdisk" shares are set "yes" to use cache, but they seem to be in the array (disk 1).

- My cache pool is a little more fuller than usual as well. (invoking mover did nothing, before and after long shutdown and reset).

- Lastly, I get no errors when I start the VM, here is the VM log from when I click start, no force close. The keyboard is not even allowing me to turn on LED on it, although the keyboard works in the GUI. The Unraid login script goes away on the display when I start VM, but no sign of VM life whatsoever on display. 

1714490598_ScreenShot2022-07-11at3_31_15PM.thumb.png.950f514346f1693be31fd540636691fc.png

Thank you all who help build an amazing community!

ps note: my diagnostics posted were pulled after several resets. Unfortunately I have a bad habit of restarting before pulling them. I have pasted a copy of the working XML into the advanced settings; also turning off and on VM manager, and nothing. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 3.05.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 3.07.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 3.10.17 PM.png

tower-diagnostics-20220711-1408 copy.zip

Edited by xlucero1
SOLVED
8 hours ago, xlucero1 said:

- I am noticing my "isos" and "vdisk" shares are set "yes" to use cache, but they seem to be in the array (disk 1)

That is where they are MEANT to end up with the Yes setting.    You might want to read the help built into the GUI about how this setting works and the action (if any) that mover subsequently takes.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

That is where they are MEANT to end up with the Yes setting.    You might want to read the help built into the GUI about how this setting works and the action (if any) that mover subsequently takes.

Thank you for reminding me about that feature. Should the vdisk location be set to use cache "only"? Also I set the VM to be 70G, now it seems to have exceeded 70G now it is 75Gb... Do you think this is why it's not booting; if so, how can I fix/resolve this to get back into my VM? or what stands out to you that might be the issue? Thank you again

• Solution

I made a new Win10 VM reusing all the old info and files (same machine, ISO, virtio, manually chose old vdisk, and same network Mac), and it booted up!! I didn't even have to modify the XML file and paste old info in, it just created it and booted. Now the truth is if it will keep working going forward after shutdown. 
Any input or ideas?

Thank you for responses

Edited by xlucero1
  • xlucero1 changed the title to 6.8.2 Win10 VM shows started but is not. *SOLVED*