Cannot Upgrade Parity Drives - Parity Sync Read errors

Hello, I have been attempting to upgrade my Unraid server from 1TB drives to 6TB drives.

I have been trying to get the Parity drives upgraded however every time i try, the parity sync runs very slow (5mb a sec) for about an hour and then it fails.

Fix Common problems states that they are Read Errors, however my syslog shows a wall of the following write errors before the drive is disabled:

kernel: md: disk29 write error, sector=XXXXXXX

I have ran multiple SMART tests on the drive with the tests completing without errors, and the drive has passed multiple preclear runs with full pre reads and post reads with no errors being detected.

I'm thinking this is a cabling issue or a problem with my HBA/Backplane, however I would like a second opinion to ensure that I dont go on wild goose chases with this.

The drive that is failing is WDC_WD60EZAZ-00SF3B0_WD-WX42DA1L45HN (sdi)

It fails weather i try it in Parity or Parity2 position.

Whenever i fail back over to my 1TB parity drive, Parity sync completes without issue (Please note that no drives were removed during testing so both drives are installed at the same time for easy swapping within the configuration)

My 1TB parity drive is:

WDC_WD10EZEX-00WN4A0_WD-WCC6Y3EATE71 (sdd)

I uploaded a copy of my diagnostic reports. Please provide any advisement you may have that might direct me in the correct direction.

Thank you

(photo of my "Fix Common Problems" report:)

image.thumb.png.3f9f57f6661be959d2296ff3d2037dc2.png

multimediaserv-diagnostics-20220718-1236.zip

Jul 18 11:30:18 MultiMediaServ kernel: sd 5:0:7:0: device_unblock and setting to running, handle(0x0015)
Jul 18 11:30:18 MultiMediaServ kernel: sd 5:0:7:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Jul 18 11:30:18 MultiMediaServ kernel: sd 5:0:7:0: device_block, handle(0x0015)
Jul 18 11:30:19 MultiMediaServ kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: log_info(0x31120303): originator(PL), code(0x12), sub_code(0x0303)
[5:0:7:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD60EZAZ-00S 0A80  /dev/sdi   /dev/sg8 

6 minutes ago, trurl said:
Jul 18 11:30:18 MultiMediaServ kernel: sd 5:0:7:0: device_unblock and setting to running, handle(0x0015)
Jul 18 11:30:18 MultiMediaServ kernel: sd 5:0:7:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Jul 18 11:30:18 MultiMediaServ kernel: sd 5:0:7:0: device_block, handle(0x0015)
Jul 18 11:30:19 MultiMediaServ kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: log_info(0x31120303): originator(PL), code(0x12), sub_code(0x0303)
[5:0:7:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD60EZAZ-00S 0A80  /dev/sdi   /dev/sg8 

Alright, thank you for clarifying for me.. as for that block of logs there... if im reading it right, the drive is losing power repeatingly? Am I correct? if it is a device reset, what could cause it besides a cabling issue?

The backplane is most likely the issue then, the HBA and breakout cables are basically new.. but the backplane is rather old and shabby as it came with the old chassis i have everything in. I bought it used from my work. I also think a capacitor is getting loose on it so that's the most likely suspect... i got a new one on the way to replace it. Cross my fingers on it. Appreciate the second opinion

I have another question on this.. Could this issue cause Unraid to become unresponsive to Array Shutdown commands? a couple of the attempts i had made to put the 6TB drive into the array caused Unraid to lock the array up where it would not stop the array when i clicked on it to do so rebooting Unraid from the GUI wouldnt work either and i had to hard power cycle the server...  Could this issue cause something like that to happen?