We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

WD 6TB RED appears to have lost capacity after being disabled.

This is kind of throwing me off. I have a 6TB WD Red drive that has been in use for some time. It has recently become a little bit problematic. After the last time something similar happened managed to adjust my configuration a bit and get it pulled from the array. I ran several diagnostic tests, and it came back fine. I finally added it back in a few weeks ago. This week it once again disabled itself and had some strange messages in the drive log. It looked like it was saying something about the drive capacity changing. I once again pulled it out and did a few tests to check the drive. It came back ok again. I went back to add it back to the array and Unraid is saying it is to small to be used. I have a 10 slots in my server so i tried a different one just to ensure it wasn't a cable, or slot issue.

Has anyone else seen this. 

Here are the diagnostics logs. 

Unfortunately i am a little bit concerned they won't shed much light though as Iwas in the middle of shifting some things around in the config and have done several reboots.

Fortunately the drive isn't necessary and at this point all the data was removed from it and it is going through a preclear now as another test. I just don't want to continue to waste my time with it if it just needs to be replaced. I know most of the drives in my rig at this point are past their warranty period so drive age isn't on my side. 

kingsplace-diagnostics-20220723-1043.zip