macOS Time Machine does not work any more after upgrade to 6.10.3 (from 6.9.x)

Greetings,

I had time machine running round-robin on a Synology DSM and on unRAID 6.9.x. That worked fine, both file servers were used in an alternating fashion.

A while ago I upgraded from 6.9.x to 6.10.3 and now I realize that the macOS time machine backups are only working with Synology DSM.

When it is the turn of taking the backup to the unRAID share (and its setup has not been changed) the mac is looking for the share and opening files (c.f. File Activity plugin), but then not writing any backup. I see no error message on the UI, haven't delved into the macOS logs yet.

I then removed the old backup from the share and started over on the mac OS side. The initial full (huge) backup was taken. But then the incremental backups don't happen (even if triggered manually).

I am not saying that this is a problem with unRAID 6.10.3, but I couldn't rule it out.

Any ideas what is wrong here?

Thank you for your time!

A few people have had the same issue after upgrading to 6.10.3.

I fixed mine by re-installing macOS. Others downgraded back to 6.9.

Another option which may be better is to install the TimeMachine docker on unRAID. Since it only has one function I think it’s probably more likely to maintain compatibility.

UnRAID uses the vfs_fruit package (part of the samba suite) to maintain compatibility with macOS. They do not maintain this package and any changes that might be needed would probably need to be made by samba.org. I’m not sure that there is any incompatibility though since it’s only a small number of users affected.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I downgraded right now to 6.9.2 and my Time Machine on all my Macs resumed without any issue.    I will attempt to upgrade to 6.11 after these backups continue for a couple of days and see if it keeps working.  I hope it does because I enjoyed for better part of a decade to just get home and have my Macs back themselves up to my simulated "Time Capsule" 

• 6 months later...

So a bit of an update.   I downgraded from 6.10.3 (That broke time machine backups) back to 6.9.2 and my Time Machine went back to working flawlessly on my unraid as it had for about 10 years prior without any need for any docker.  

I decided to wait a while, so after several months I decided to give 6.11.5 a shot to see if the issues were perhaps resolved.   I upgraded yesterday and again the time machine issues came back just like when I upgraded to 6.10.3.    I do not want to miss out on new features of Unraid, nor be on an older version for various reasons, but Time Machine backups are super important to me as all my mac devices back up to it as they have since the early years of Unraid. 

image.thumb.png.43efbf84a5f80b7d05819445a84fc6fa.png