Passthrough the other way round

Hey guys,

I have been following spaceinvader ones videos and have now created a smooth running vm, which i can access via guacamole, vnc, splashtop. My initial idea was to have one server in my house running 24/7 and bascially running a couple of docker containers, for media and a nextcloud service, home assistant as vm to manage my house and also have 1 or two Windows VMs for Office work and the occasional game.

I want to access the vms remotely on small clients  - maybe even just a raspi if that is possible. Now Spaceinvader one at one point said that he would plug in a usb dongle for a controller in his server to be able to passthrough the gaming controller. 

I want it the other way round, if possible. E.g. I would like to plug in a usb device at the client and have it work on the vm, if that is at all possble, for example printer, scanner maybe a gaming pad. Is that something which can be done, if so how?

Thank you all for your time and help.

2 hours ago, Zeze21 said:

Hey guys,

I have been following spaceinvader ones videos and have now created a smooth running vm, which i can access via guacamole, vnc, splashtop. My initial idea was to have one server in my house running 24/7 and bascially running a couple of docker containers, for media and a nextcloud service, home assistant as vm to manage my house and also have 1 or two Windows VMs for Office work and the occasional game.

I want to access the vms remotely on small clients  - maybe even just a raspi if that is possible. Now Spaceinvader one at one point said that he would plug in a usb dongle for a controller in his server to be able to passthrough the gaming controller. 

I want it the other way round, if possible. E.g. I would like to plug in a usb device at the client and have it work on the vm, if that is at all possble, for example printer, scanner maybe a gaming pad. Is that something which can be done, if so how?

Thank you all for your time and help.

Have a look at this post. It will poll usbip hosts and attach them to the host. You can set mappings also to vms.

you would need to run usbipd on the pi. 

Not used or tried it spice clients can redirect usb ports to the guest vm.

Edited by SimonF

thank you both guys

i love this forum maybe if i would have searched more or have used other - unknown to me - search terms, maybe i would have found that thread. 

This is what makes this community special....

If someone has a question and is not afraid to ask, that person will get an answer with a solution or a link to a solution. Not an answer which states 'this has already been answered please just search for it’ or something similar but not as nice. 

So rather than just accept your solution i activly want to thank both SimonF and JohnatanM sorry i can not for the life of me type an at sign as i am using my vm via guacamole and by my very bad english grammar stlyle you can probalbly tell that – sorry – zat i am vvvery german – and i have troubles getting my german keyboard layout to work this way. (all my z are y and vice versa)

3 minutes ago, Zeze21 said:

thank you both guys

i love this forum maybe if i would have searched more or have used other - unknown to me - search terms, maybe i would have found that thread. 

This is what makes this community special....

If someone has a question and is not afraid to ask, that person will get an answer with a solution or a link to a solution. Not an answer which states 'this has already been answered please just search for it’ or something similar but not as nice. 

So rather than just accept your solution i activly want to thank both SimonF and JohnatanM sorry i can not for the life of me type an at sign as i am using my vm via guacamole and by my very bad english grammar stlyle you can probalbly tell that – sorry – zat i am vvvery german – and i have troubles getting my german keyboard layout to work this way. (all my z are y and vice versa)

No worries happy to help. You can use the German forum pages https://forums.unraid.net/forum/76-german-deutsch/