Physical Security Question

daytona235

Now that I have finally purchased my pro license and have started building my rig (5 x 500gig SATA) + 4 x 200gig PATA + 2 x 500gig PATA = close to 3.5TB of storage. I was thinking what a bummer it would be if someone were to break in and carry off my server.

My drives are secured (it would take more than 10mts for someone to take the machine apart and remove the drives (the drive cage drives are locked)). But easy enough to carry the whole server off.

So any ideas on good cable locks? or other methods to buy a delay of around 10mts - most thieves wont bother with what looks like a pc for more than 10mts when there is so much other goodies like LCD panels laying about.

Thanks

the cable is definitely strong (it is made for this)

that doesn't mean an organized thief won't brake anything given time

the thing is how you arrange the weights in the balance of "should I bother"? (for your and the thief) - if something doesn't look too expensive, other things look more expensive (or more easily "cashable") and are less secured, what would you do if you were the thief? even exactly that securing something WOULD hint the thief that it is important to you, doesn't mean it is something that would bring more money to his pocket (except if you are famous and there is possibility you have sensitive data in there :) ...)

I'd be more interested in figuring out a way to encrypt the data such that if a drive is taken it cannot be read by someone else. However everything I think of falls down when I remember that I have workstations and media front-ends that need seamless access to the data. Only thing I can think of is to encrypt some sensitive data from a client PC and leave any vdeo media etc. clear <shrug>

• 2 weeks later...

Encryption is not a problem I have already tested this out. Run TrueCrypt on a Windows XP/NT/2003 machine - and create an encrypted drive on the UNRAID server, and share it via the XP box.

Agreed - everything can be stolen - its a time/effort/opportunity thing - I can use the cable in the back of the machine and it will not be seen until the thief yanks on the box.

Archived