Red X on drive 4 after parity check - error code: aborted

Haven't finished looking at diagnostics yet and I need to review the thread, but I know the answer to this question

7 minutes ago, thearttist said:

also I was planning on enlarging my parity drive - after reading it looks as if I should do this first, before attempting to repair the red x drive - is this correct and is it as simple as changing out parity drive for larger one 

You have single parity and a disabled disk. You can't replace parity until the disabled disk is rebuilt, unless you want to forget about whatever was on the disabled disk and rebuild parity without it.

All disks mounted including emulated disk1, syslog looks good so far, Marvell gone.

On 8/4/2022 at 2:32 PM, thearttist said:

have a replacement drive ready if needed

Often people don't have a spare, and with everything else looking good, it would probably be OK to rebuild onto the same disk.

But, it is always safer to rebuild to a spare in case there are problems during rebuild since you would still have the original to try to recover.

The replacement disk must be at least as large as the disk to be replaced, but no larger than parity. Is it?

17 minutes ago, trurl said:

All disks mounted including emulated disk1, syslog looks good so far, Marvell gone.

Often people don't have a spare, and with everything else looking good, it would probably be OK to rebuild onto the same disk.

But, it is always safer to rebuild to a spare in case there are problems during rebuild since you would still have the original to try to recover.

The replacement disk must be at least as large as the disk to be replaced, but no larger than parity. Is it?

thank you, I have a spare 3tb replacement so to get this back up and running

I would 

Stop the array.

Remove the dsabled disk form the array.

Start the array so it will be registered as missing.

Stop the array.

install new disk 

assign the disk.

Start the array to begin rebuilding.

Wait for the rebuild to complete.

is this correct?

thank you 

18 minutes ago, thearttist said:

Stop the array.

Remove the dsabled disk form the array.

Start the array so it will be registered as missing.

Stop the array.

install new disk 

assign the disk.

Those lines about starting the array with the disk missing (or even just not assigned) would be needed if you were going to rebuild to the same disk. Unraid sees nothing assigned, then it sees a disk assigned for rebuilding.

When Unraid sees a different disk assigned to the slot it will know the original has been replaced and starting the array will begin rebuild.

• Like 1

Thank you everything Server has returned to normal - last question I hope  so to replace the parity with a larger drive is it just the same as

Stop the array.

Remove the Parity disk form the array.

install new larger Parity disk 

assign the disk.