data recovery company

has anyone used a company to swap out pcb on a drive? if so, around how much was it and who did you use? thinking about sending in 1 or 2 drives from my unraid but i fear that they will charge more due to it being for unraid and them saying its because its a server drive. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, JorgeB said:

I believe this one was mentioned before, no personal experience:

https://www.donordrives.com/

thanks ill give them a call tomorrow they are closed. just got off the phone with DriveSavers: Data Recovery and the guy was a total asshole and didnt know what unraid was. i told him how it worked so he kept saying it was some sort of raid and if it was mirrored. i did my best to explain to him that while all the drives work together, they are independent and if i take 1 drive out, the files are accessible. i the last thing i told him was that the unraid sees 2x 4tb as 8tb, fills up 1 4tb, then fills up the 2nd 4tb but it sees it as 8tb. im not sure if i explained it correctly lol. in my head i know what unraid is but i cant explain it to people good lol!!!

7 minutes ago, droopie said:

didnt know what unraid was.

For the purposes of this type of conversation, no need to bring up Unraid at all. If they ask, they are just linux XFS or BTRFS formatted drives, whichever applies. If you are trying to use the drives to recover other drives with the help of parity, then the conversation gets a little more complex, but if you say you need a binary perfect copy of the drive for possible deleted file recovery, that would cover it.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, JonathanM said:

For the purposes of this type of conversation, no need to bring up Unraid at all. If they ask, they are just linux XFS or BTRFS formatted drives, whichever applies. If you are trying to use the drives to recover other drives with the help of parity, then the conversation gets a little more complex, but if you say you need a binary perfect copy of the drive for possible deleted file recovery, that would cover it.

ah ok next time ill just say linux desktop xfs filesystem. you are an MVP in this forum thanks for all the help!!!! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 3:11 AM, JorgeB said:

I believe this one was mentioned before, no personal experience:

https://www.donordrives.com/

turns out they use another company called outsource data recovery. for replacing the pcb was going to cost under $100 so i sent in 2 drives and they quoted me around $1,000 per drive. i then called and spoke to a rep and they said the drives had way more issues like clicking and something surface related issues. i honestly thought they was bsing me because they didnt even show anything in unraid before and i went a little overboard with packing them so i dont know where they got clicking issues from. since i was hoping that it was a pcb board issue, i spent the last month praying that i could get 1 of 2 drives fixed so i can at least rebuild a drive since i only had 1 parity disk. the reason i only 1 parity drive is because every time i had 2, i think the psu couldnt handle it and would disable disks. im pretty devastated. so since 2 disks are gone, does that mean i should look into removing those missing disks from the array and starting a new config? 

Edited by droopie