Folder name giving copy issues from Windows SMB

Bob_C

I've done a few tests on this to make sure I wasn't bumping up against an extra long file path, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

There is an App which I use which stores its syncing details (for use with an iPad) in my c:\users\name\appdata  folder.  

Part of the path on my PC includes a folder name ' ._noUser' 

It appears that a folder name beginning with ._ on Unraid is a special folder and does not appear in the share when navigating the tree structure.

If I manually copy the folder in Windows explorer and try to paste it into any share on Unraid windows reports it 'could not find this item'.

EOGTvC5Z2J.png.3c69510b53b01e4faf4396b53f38f403.png

This means that my file backup program is unable to backup the 3GB of files within the ._noUser folder to Unraid.  As a test I renamed the folder 'Test' and it copied fine.  In explorer whilst in the share folder I can see the test folder.  If I change this name or add a new folder which starts with ._  the folder disappears off explorer.  Even if I view hidden and system files, the folder does not exist as far as windows is concerned and the backup program cannot create a directory with a name starting with ._

How do I get around this?  

Thanks

Diagnostics attached.  Funnily enough I created this because I have something reading a disk every minute and I had stopped all dockers and disabled the Cached Directories plugin.  It's stopping the S3 sleep working!  The disk in question (sdb) only has a few ripped isos which is included in an Emby library.  But with all dockers stopped I can't figure out what would be doing this.  Anyway, probably a problem for another thread!  For now the ._noUser folder is more pressing.  Thanks,

nas-diagnostics-20220822-2146.zip

22 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Read that thread carefully.  Note that apparently the problem was the backup program that the OP was using-- rsync.  He changed a parameter passed to rsync which eliminated the problem by not creating the     '._'    files/folders. 

I think the nugget in that article was that many OS's will hide files/folders that begin with  '.'  .  I think in my case the _ is irrelevant because I think my windows backup program attempts to create a folder beginning with a '.', succeeds then it is auto hidden by the Unraid OS and windows cannot find it to then copy the contents of the directory.  Hence the windows error message.

As a test, I removed the _ from the ._noUser folder name and windows still threw up the same error I described in my OP.  So I put it back.

But then I thought, what if I manually created the .noUser folder directly in the folder on Unraid using WinSCP.  Sure enough the folder was shown as a hidden folder in the Ui.

But when I manually copied using Explorer on WIndows to the share, it reported the same error and would not copy.

Now here's something really strange........  I did the same copy but using TeraCopy and this time TeraCopy wrote all the files in the windows ._noUser folder to the same hidden directory name on Unraid and then threw up the same error message once it had copied.  I know it had copied because I looked at the files via WinSCP.

Deffo an issue with dot files/folders from windows to the SMB share.   

10 minutes ago, Bob Corless said:

Sorry about the name confusion - I was not near the server at the time to check the wording (but at lest you found the setting).

It is not at all clear why some people have the issue with dot files disappearing while others (like myself) do not :)  It might be worth toggling this setting, hitting Apply, toggling it back and hitting Apply again just to make sure it is taking effect.   Unfortunately as far as I can tell the SMB settings are not included in the Diagnostics so the setting can easily be checked. 

7 hours ago, itimpi said:

Sorry about the name confusion - I was not near the server at the time to check the wording (but at lest you found the setting).

It is not at all clear why some people have the issue with dot files disappearing while others (like myself) do not :)  It might be worth toggling this setting, hitting Apply, toggling it back and hitting Apply again just to make sure it is taking effect.   Unfortunately as far as I can tell the SMB settings are not included in the Diagnostics so the setting can easily be checked. 

I tried that and no go.  That said, toggling the setting (with a Start array inbetween) resulted in TeraCopy not being able to copy as I mentioned above.

Am i right to say that changing the Enhanced  macOS Interoperability from yes to no will result in the exisiting shares not working?