Plex Database Hacked

Lolight

I had a straightforward and trouble-free experience resetting my Plex password and signing-in Plex servers and Plex clients.

I maintain 3 Unraid servers with one instance of official Plex docker container on each. I successfully reset Plex password and had my three Plex Media Servers sign in to my Plex account by updating a new PLEX_CLAIM value in the Plex docker container config. All good. Indeed, it was straightforward enough to encourage me to change Plex password routinely (say, every 2-3 months) as a basic security measure.

40 minutes ago, Maxrad said:

I had a straightforward and trouble-free experience resetting my Plex password and signing-in Plex servers and Plex clients.

I maintain 3 Unraid servers with one instance of official Plex docker container on each. I successfully reset Plex password and had my three Plex Media Servers sign in to my Plex account by updating a new PLEX_CLAIM value in the Plex docker container config. All good. Indeed, it was straightforward enough to encourage me to change Plex password routinely (say, every 2-3 months) as a basic security measure.

Other than deleting your token what else did you do? Request a Password change on Plex and then just input the new Token? 

A lot of us run the official docker and just want to get the word out. 

2 hours ago, kizer said:

Other than deleting your token what else did you do? Request a Password change on Plex and then just input the new Token? 

A lot of us run the official docker and just want to get the word out. 

Yep, as you describe.

1. Change Plex password. Sign-in to Plex web > Account Settings > Edit Password.
  2. Check you are signed-in to Plex web using new/changed password.
  3. Using same browser signed-in to Plex (but different tab) visit https://plex.tv/claim to get a new token. It will look something like this: claim--UJg6S91Tu13evjNL88s
  4. In Unraid edit the Plex Docker container and paste the token to the Conainer Variable: PLEX_CLAIM
  5. Save the Plex Docker container config with “Apply” button. Plex Docker container starts up as it would normally. Allow about 15-90 seconds for Plex Media Server to complete the usual start-up sequence (check libraries, basic file permissions, file/folder access checks, sign-in to Plex). All libraries hosted/shared/appearing as normal.

TIP: If running multiple Plex Media Servers repeat steps 3 to 5 for each. Allow at least 5 minutes between obtaining a new/fresh PLEX_CLAIM token and modifying each Plex Media Server Docker container.

I’m using Plex-Media-Server (official) docker container found in Unraid Community Applications (Network type: Bridge).

Edited by Maxrad

Another Noob affected by the plex breach.

Long story short, tried to reclaim several times and just couldn't get it to work. (Most likely die to everyone doing it at the same time maybe)

Ive wiped/reinstalled the docker (linuxserver) to just start from scratch out of frustration where now it wont pull any network settings?

In fact, Ive tried other plex dockers and none will pull through. Logs dont say much other than ending with the usual "starting plex server, libusb_init failed"

Tried reinstalling again, even wiped the docker image with no change, same story. Am i missing something very obvious or do i need my own thread to be put in a museum with a plaque saying "this is a first thanks to this idiot"

*apologies, moved to linux thread-more appropriate area*

IMG.jpg

Edited by Loony
moving post
On 8/24/2022 at 12:13 PM, Lolight said:

I don't run Plex but have seen others experience something similar.

Here's a possible solution:

For those running plex in a docker container (probably also applicable for other hosting) and who just reset their password: Do this:

Remove the preferences entries described in this article: https://support.plex.tv/articles/204281528-why-am-i-locked-out-of-server-settings-and-how-do-i-get-in/

After restart, go to https://www.plex.tv/claim/ and generate a new claim key

run this command in a terminal (adapt to your ip and claim)

curl -X POST 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/myplex/claim?token=claim-xxxxxxx'

3.1) Alternatively, run your docker container (or docker-compose) with the environment variable "PLEX_CLAIM=claim-xxxx"

After that, your server will be available again (you might have to configure it for online availability again. Go to "http://127.0.0.1:32400/web", log in, configure remote access in the settings)

Thanks very much for the insight, this worked for me too. If only I'd found this thread and your post earlier, my partner would not be so upset with me for losing half a day trying to find a fix!

• 1 month later...

To explain away some of your issues here gents (and ladies)

when Plex is in a virgin state or just reset via container you'll need to hit up the port with a /web in your browser.

That's why you're getting the weird XML bug. hit up your.servers.ip.address:32400/web to get around this specific error. if you haven't already resolved this I mean.

Peace