[6.10.3] DNS settings should be disambiguated from eth0 if not sticky to that interface.

ixit

I spent a few hours on-again troubleshooting connectivity issues on my unraid server.  Observed the following:

• eth0 - 10gig direct link
  • eth1 - 10gig direct link
  • eth2 & 3 - bonded 1 gig - intended default route to internet
  • Can connect by IP on direct ethernet link across static IP interface with route defined
  • Can connect by IP on DHCP on this general subnet (after I fixed the route from the prior setup which had locked me out)
  • Can connect by IP on Static IP on this general subnet.
  • Hostname: did not test

Field Observations:

• Unraid Plugins: Unraid plugins failed connectivity
  • Fix Common Problems: fix common problems could not download definition data

• Root cause: eth0 had the DNS applicable to eth0 set, but should have been set for the bond.
    • Default routes were set correct, but traffic did not flow because of this misleading DNS entry
    • I missed that the bond did not have it's own DNS.

Requested fix:
Disambiguate DNS in UX if it applies collectively; but ideally provide DNS lookup across interfaces such that my internal-only network can lookup hostnames, and so can I look up google.com.

I may be misinterpreting what goes where by like... a long shot.  Bottom line I'd like more clarity on how the DNS is handled in the UX.  I think there's also some eth0 preference issues at play here, due to my ill-advised use of eth0 and eth1 as dcs, rather than the primary connections.

Edited by ixit
add eth0/1 acknowledgement

I have already explained it to a different guy. Read

In short: read your hitchiker's guide ("DONT PANIC!"), configure the wanted DNS Servers into eth0 and you are done!

Your wish will not be fulfilled, DNS simply does not work that way. Read the threat, I also list up ways to overcome your problem. But again, this has nothing to do with Unraid (hmm, maybe the "PiHole" Docker can help you? But I hate it...)

Edited by MAM59