Boost Drive Very Small Parition - Cannot update

blackbox

My unraid has been working great but I have not updated yet. Reason is that when I first made my server I made the boot flash drive only 1.1GB in size. Its a 15gb drive. No idea when, why, or how I did that but is it possible to expand that so I can have enough memory available to update the server?

Also, all my computers are Linux based so I don't have access to any windows programs. F-disk for me.

In theory it should be pretty straight forward, but it will have to be done with the server shut down.

Make a backup of the config folder on the flash drive, then remove all existing partitions using gnome-disk-utility, create a single partition, format it FAT32 and label it UNRAID, copy the latest release of Unraid onto the partition, run the linux make bootable script, copy your config folder back to the drive.

Theoretically that's how it should work, however there are plenty of things to go wrong along the way, so if I were you I'd prepare a second drive exactly as I outlined, instead of erasing your working one. Test boot from the new drive, it will complain about the key being invalid, but don't transfer it, just shut down. Then you can go through the process with your original boot drive, and if it goes horribly wrong you can always use the new one and transfer your license.

The make bootable script in linux can be problematic depending on how your specific linux auto mounts USB drives, there is a thread somewhere on here about how to force it to work if it errors out.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 9/2/2022 at 11:50 AM, JonathanM said:

In theory it should be pretty straight forward, but it will have to be done with the server shut down.

Make a backup of the config folder on the flash drive, then remove all existing partitions using gnome-disk-utility, create a single partition, format it FAT32 and label it UNRAID, copy the latest release of Unraid onto the partition, run the linux make bootable script, copy your config folder back to the drive.

Theoretically that's how it should work, however there are plenty of things to go wrong along the way, so if I were you I'd prepare a second drive exactly as I outlined, instead of erasing your working one. Test boot from the new drive, it will complain about the key being invalid, but don't transfer it, just shut down. Then you can go through the process with your original boot drive, and if it goes horribly wrong you can always use the new one and transfer your license.

The make bootable script in linux can be problematic depending on how your specific linux auto mounts USB drives, there is a thread somewhere on here about how to force it to work if it errors out.

I have been putting this off but things are starting to break/wont update so I have no choice. I removed the USB drive and copied everything over to my PC.

If I gnome-disk-utility the USB, remove the partitions, format and run the standard install process with the downloaded zip off the unraid website, how does unraid know the usb stick is the same one? I was tempted to swap the USB drive I am using out for a new one thats of better quality (the one im using is kind of old now) but I didnt want to kill a license until my drive failed. That got me thinking that if I did this how is unraid going to know the USB stick is the same once I have formatted everything?

I am guessing all (most) USB drives have a number like a mac or just a S/n that unraid ties the license to?

Edited by blackbox
44 minutes ago, blackbox said:

That got me thinking that if I did this how is unraid going to know the USB stick is the same once I have formatted everything?

Unraid requires usb sticks that have a unique GUID that is built into the hardware during manufacture and that is what the licence is tied to.   This GUID will remain unchanged even if you reformat the drive.

• Thanks 1

So I can get unraid to boot on a clean install but as soon as I swap the config file over it just doesnt want to boot off the drive. So I was thinking about just moving over select files and see what I can get to work. What do you guys think I can get rid of?

Besides my pro key, i would like the drives in their order and shares data. I don't mind reloading all the docker images if i need to.

Screenshot from 2024-02-29 18-54-42.jpg