Strap In for this... Parity Good. One Good Drive Forgotten, Bad Drive Missing

RussellG

Ok, so I had a crazy AC leak and two of my three drives got wet and the PCBs fried. I had one parity, but two drives failed. I have since repaired one of the two bad drives (swapped ROM IC to a new donor board) and want to rebuild parity, but unraid has forgotten one of the disks. Before I go any further and bring confusion, I am going to start with my disks and their status
10Tb Parity - Good and healthy
10Tb Disk1 - Repaired and appears to be fine, but unRAID doesn't "remember" it?

10Tb Disk2 - Bad and missing.
image.png.a8bc2ebe8b23295b5c72d61e750bc02a.png

So as you can see. Parity shows good. Disk1 (MPN) which is the original disk, has been forgotten for some reason. Disk2 (2MZ) is bad and I plan to replace with a good 10Tb drive. What I need to do is get unRAID to "remember" Disk1 and rebuild to a new disk for disk2. How do i do this?

I do not have any config backups. Any backups I had were on the array (lesson learned there). What can i do? Help me Tom Cruise, please and thank you!

Edited by RussellG

Follow these instruction carefully. We will check along the way to make sure things are as they should be. If things don't seem to be working as described, or you have questions, ask.

1. Install new disk2
  2. Go to Tools - New Config, Retain All, Apply
  3. Assign new disk2
  4. Check BOTH Maintenance mode AND Parity Valid boxes
  5. Start the array

Then post a screenshot

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Follow these instruction carefully. We will check along the way to make sure things are as they should be. If things don't seem to be working as described, or you have questions, ask.

1. Install new disk2
  3. Assign new disk2
  5. Start the array

Then post a screenshot

Ok, i am out for about 3-4 hours and will begin that when i get back.
In the event Disk1 is bad, this would not do anything to the parity disk, correct? I ask because the old Disk2 may be repairable I am still looking at purchasing another WD100EZAZ drive and taking that PCB, swapping ROM IC and fixing it. 
i guess i could just mount disk1 and look at its contents to somewhat verify it’s ok?

2 minutes ago, RussellG said:

In the event Disk1 is bad

Disk1 SMART looked OK except for 1 Reallocated which should be fine. If you want, you can run an extended self-test on disk1 before starting the above instructions. It would take many hours to complete.

5 minutes ago, RussellG said:

this would not do anything to the parity disk, correct?

Since New Config will be with Parity Valid, and array is started in Maintenance mode, no disks will be modified.

5 minutes ago, RussellG said:

mount disk1 and look at its contents

In later steps, you will be able to take a look at the contents of both disk1 and emulated disk2 before trying to rebuild anything.

12 minutes ago, RussellG said:

old Disk2 may be repairable I am still looking at purchasing another WD100EZAZ drive and taking that PCB, swapping ROM IC and fixing it.

That might be useful depending on how things go with trying to rebuild to a new disk.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

1. Install new disk2
  3. Assign new disk2
  5. Start the array

Then post a screenshot

Alright, Done with all those steps.
Screenshot:
image.thumb.png.c965b4580eccbe33e30d6ea71228aa56.png

32 minutes ago, trurl said:

If emulated disk2 shows as unmountable, DO NOT FORMAT.

I will check back tomorrow

Ok, so it started. And everything looks ok at first glance and a few spot checks? Requested diags and SS attached.

32 minutes ago, trurl said:

If emulated disk2 shows as unmountable, DO NOT FORMAT.

I will check back tomorrow

Roger. I am going to stop it for the night.

image.thumb.png.6e47b8378d264cca5c32929f925ffdb3.png

unraid-diagnostics-20220908-2238.zip

Edited by RussellG