Recommended upgrade path from unRAID 6.5.3 ?

vsonerud

@Frank1940

The server is mainly used as a NAS, but has a couple of Docker containers running SABnzbd and Sonarr. No VMs.

The following plugins are installed:

• Community Applications (2020.01.09 - unable to update - requires minimum unRAID 6.9.0)
  • Dynamix System Statistics ( 2018.08.29a  unable to updaye - requires minimum unRAID 6.9.0)
  • Fix Common Problems ( 2019.09.08  unable to update - requires minimum unRAID 6.7.0 )
  • Dynamix Active Streams (up-to-date)
  • Dynamix Cache Directories (up-to-date)
  • Nerd Tools (up-to-date)
  • Preclear Disks (up-to-date)
  • Statistics (up-to-date)

The array has 7 drives ( 5 * 4TB + 2 * 8TB) plus one 2 TB cache drive.

4 of the 6 data-drives in the array still use ReiserFS (the plan is to migrate to XFS )

Edited by vsonerud

I didn't see anything that should present a problem.   Be aware that Nerd Tools will be uninstalled in ver6..11.0 when it is released.  (It is currently unsupported and, apparently, some of the tools are incompatible with the Linux version being used in that version.)  

Now, a word of caution.  Make a backup of your flash drive before you begin.   (As a corollary to Mr Murphy's Law, you will never need it once you have that copy safely stored on your PC!!!) 

I would also have a keyboard and monitor attached to your server.  Have your root password handy.  Two commands you might need are    reboot   and    powerdown    in case of any problems. 

Next make sure you have three hours of free time.  If all goes well, you could be done in fifteen minutes but having a block of time set aside will allow for more relaxed session if you have any problems or issues that have to be addressed.

Look at the    /config/go     file, the only thing needed in this file is the following:

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

If you have anything else that you should comment it out by putting a    #    in front of it.  You can always remove it later when you have things working.

Personally, I would make the first attempt by downloading the version that you want to upgrade (6.10.3 should be the lowest version in my opinion).  Unzip the contents and copy over only the bz* files and changes.txt to the Root of the flash drive.  You will have to permit overwriting some of the files so be prepared to do that.   Eject the flash Drive and bootup and see if everything comes up.  

There is a chance that you might have some network issues.   (I seem to remember that one version upgrade had a fair number of folks with network issues.)  IF you encounter one of these, rename any files in the    /config    folder with 'network' in the name.  (I usually do this by appending     .OLD   onto the file name.)  Then reboot the server and allow the network to be reconfigured during the boot process. 

Edited by JonathanM
typo, bz and changes.txt

One more thing, stop the  Auto Start of any Docker packages before starting the upgrade.  Then after you are satisfied that the basic NAS is running properly, check for upgrades to your Dockers before starting any of them.  (While I believe that Dockers are independent of the Linux version used by Unraid, it does not hurt to be careful...)