Cannot start VM because some device is not found.

NLS

I changed motherboard (and added a NIC card) on my server and now one of my VMs doesn't start.

Just one, with Windows.

It reports:

Device 0000:0a:00.1 not found: could not access /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:0a:00.1/config: No such file or directory

I tried to edit the configuration (from GUI) but I don't see any "0000:0a:00.1".

Help?

26 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You need to remove any reference to that device by editing the VM XML, it's normal if the hardware changed.

Yes that is what I thought, but I open the XML and I cannot find that "device". That's the issue.

I actually created a new Win11 VM (just to make a fresh XML) and the only difference between the two XML is this:

(all other lines are same or have reasonable differences that I can explain)

Old (with problem)

<memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>

New (haven't tested though)

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0a' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x05' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>

So is it the different bus of VirtIO? Is it the extra "subsystem" that the new VM reports (and added to XML)?

EDIT: WAIT! It is the other way around! The problem VM has the extra lines! So it probably is that. I will try.

EDIT #2: Seems that was it. I am not sure what I lost by removing vfio subsystem...

Edited by NLS
  • Like 1