Unraid 6.9.2 - Unable to access Plex outside my network, remote access won't stay enabled

Go to solution Solved by Myleslewis,

Hi all,

Background is that I was trying to give my dad access to my plex library, only for him to tell me that it tells him it's unavailable. After investigation I find that in the Plex UI, it says that the server isn't available outside my network as per attached.

I've hit retry lots of times, I've manually set a port myself in the Plex UI, ensured manual port forwarding is correct on my router, reinstalled the docker (I use linuxserver version), reset my server, reset my router, reset the docker lots, tried all the troubleshooting methods on Plex's support pages. UPnP is enabled on my router, and there is a rule in place for Plex, I just can't seem to figure it out.

When I retry, it will say that it's connected and available outside the network, and then around 10 seconds afterwards it'll go off again. I can access it through a browser via a subdomain I have set up, and still access it via local.host:32400.

I've attached my server diagnostics as well.

Has anyone got any ideas at all ?

Thanks, - Myles

image.png

unknownserver-diagnostics-20221001-1526.zip

35 minutes ago, Myleslewis said:

Hi all,

Background is that I was trying to give my dad access to my plex library, only for him to tell me that it tells him it's unavailable. After investigation I find that in the Plex UI, it says that the server isn't available outside my network as per attached.

I've hit retry lots of times, I've manually set a port myself in the Plex UI, ensured manual port forwarding is correct on my router, reinstalled the docker (I use linuxserver version), reset my server, reset my router, reset the docker lots, tried all the troubleshooting methods on Plex's support pages. UPnP is enabled on my router, and there is a rule in place for Plex, I just can't seem to figure it out.

When I retry, it will say that it's connected and available outside the network, and then around 10 seconds afterwards it'll go off again. I can access it through a browser via a subdomain I have set up, and still access it via local.host:32400.

I've attached my server diagnostics as well.

Has anyone got any ideas at all ?

Thanks, - Myles

image.png

unknownserver-diagnostics-20221001-1526.zip 114.19 kB · 0 downloads

I am not saying this will resolve your issue, but, I did the following to keep my remote access stable:

1. Manually specified port 32400 (even though it is the default) in the Plex remote access setup

image.thumb.png.9415314c8bc0999018dc8ec06b64f2d4.png

2. Turned off UPnP in my router (I manually forward all ports I need as UPnP is not always reliable and has some security issues - not saying it is flaky in your router but turning it off in mine has been the right call)

3. Set a port forwarding rule in my router for port 32400 to the local LAN IP address of my Plex server

image.png.0540fec752f08cacd723cd7e7a38981e.png

Remote access in Plex has been stable for months for me.

• Like 1

Hi Hoopster,

Thanks for the suggestions !

Unfortunately, these did not work and I'm still having the same issue. When clicking retry to establish connection, it'll say it's connected for a short time and then say that it's not available outside my network again.

I don't know if it's an issue with the linuxserver version, as I installed the binhex version of the docker and it worked fine. I just really dont want to have to switch over :(

Thanks, - Myles

• 4 weeks later...