Latest way to remove drive from cache pool?

mbc0
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi, 

After some searching the posts I can find for removing a cache pool are for different reasons and/or from 2016/17 

I currently have 2 X NVME drives mirrored and would like to remove one of them, can anyone please point me in the directions of the latest method please?

• 1 year later...

I was swapping a cache disk - but using the pool method to do it. Now I need some help for the final piece of the puzzle!

Initial cache disk - old 2TB Seagate Barracuda.

New cache disk - old 500GB SSD.

Shutdown Docker service.

Added SSD to unRAID, and added it to the cache pool.

Cache pool assigned SSD the name cache 2, made a pool, and balanced.

I unassigned the old spinner cache disk, and the pool rebalanced again, as expected.

Shut down unRAID, disconnected the SATA power cable from the 2TB spinner, rebooted.

Restarted Docker, tested containers, everything good.

When I look under MAIN in the menu, scroll to cache, it lists Pool Devices.

The old 2TB HDD is still kind of showing. It says cache (the original name), not installed. Then beneath that, cache 2 with the SSD drive.

Almost everything works, /mnt/cache is full of the data it is supposed to have, but I would like to completely remove the old cache entry for the 2TB drive that is now gone, so the Pool only shows 1 device.

I am hoping by doing so, I will regain a Utilization graph on the Dashboard page of the cache. Right now, below Array, it says Cache and tells me the correct figure. However the Utilization bar remains empty.

So it seems I got 90% of the way through, but perhaps need to do something else to finally remove the old drive from the cache pool. Have I missed a step, or what is it I need to do? And by the way, is it the Appdata Backup by Robin Kluth that is the recommended way to backup the Appdata? It seemed older posts were referring to another App which is no longer in the CA app store.

11 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Stop array, unassign the SSD, start array, stop array, set cache slots to 1, re-assign the SSD, start array

P.S. no need to do this for an online btrfs replacement.

Thanks for the reply @JorgeB. It is a btrfs SSD.

I was worried the appdata, system data etc might not remain fully intact if I stop the array, unassign the SSD and follow the rest of the procedure. However I ran the Appdata Backup plugin, invoked the mover (so backups ended up on the array), and then followed your instructions.

Everything worked perfectly. Now I can view my cache utilization at a glance again 🙂

Thank you for your help!

Edited by MediaMaan
Update after using procedure
  • Like 1