Migrating from Raid Card?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi all!

So im really sorry if this is something thats been answered regularly, I did try to find other answers first. 

Im newer to unRAID, so when I started using it, I didnt fully realize why its a bad idea to use a RAID only card without passthrough for my drives. Ended up setting all 3 of my drives up in single drive arrays on the PERC H700 card in my R515. I now want to migrate to a better (and proper) set up. SuperMicro Chasis with an LSI HBA in IT mode (mobo/cpu/ram TBD)

What is the best way for me to migrate my drives? Is there a way for me to manually identify the drives? Or am I just up a creek and need to just rebuild everything? 

Thanks in advance!

16 minutes ago, bustergrob said:

Is there any high risk of losing the data by just trying to move them over once I know which drives are which?

That should be safe, unless you need to reconnect the disks to the RAID controller and for some reason it loses the cofing and re-initializes them, but that should not happen, Unraid won't touch the data if you just do a new config, assign all disks to the correct slots and check "parity is already valid" before array start, then if the disks are unmountable due to an invalid partition error post here and I'll post the instructions for something you can try.

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies. Heres the diagnostics file. If the offer still stands @JorgeB, I definitely would love some instructions. I had followed this post up to getting the "Unmountable Unsupported Partition Layout" error, and I wasnt exactly sure how to get the emulated disk to mount. Sorry for my inexperience, but I really do appreciate all your guys help with this. 

urithiru-diagnostics-20221030-2156.zip

Well, I guess I was being a dunce when looking at the other instructions. You gave me the same directions as you did the other guys and somehow I just didn't do it correctly until now. 

First disk is rebuilding now, should be 5-7 hours until the next disk, then ideally I'm all set. 

@JorgeB @trurl I've seen you guys the most when digging through this forum, thanks for being there for the community! I really appreciate your help/patience with a novice like me 😂

• Like 1