Gigabit connection reported but extremely slow speeds. - Version 6.11.1

Go to solution Solved by MAM59,

Hi all,

Completely new to Unraid and just set up my server yesterday. Sort of have 2 issues that are related to the same thing.

Specs:

CPU: Intel 12100

MB: MSI B660 Tomahawk DDR4 (which has a 2.5Gbps port)

Ram: 16gb DDR4 HyperX

Cache: 500gb Samsung 970 EVO NVME

Array: 1x 12gb Ironwolf Pro NAS Drive

Parity: 1x 12gb Ironwolf Pro NAS Drive

Modem/Router: NF18Mesh

The issue is that transfer speeds using Windows click and drag from my main PC are horrendously slow. In the attached picture you can see eth0 reports a gigabit connection, but I currently have a movie transferring, with Windows reporting 2mbytes/sec and that being reflected in Inbound: 14.0 Mbps.

image.png.958ccbff8beea7d0f4dc6034b31f4a01.png

This is the iperf3 results from my machine (after the transfer was completed):

image.png.976dd2f1604acac9ab6ee2cded55977a.png

I do have a second machine that gets roughly 14mbytes/sec transfer speeds using Windows click and drag (still not the reported gigabit) but a lot better. Here are the iperf3 results:

image.png.45e77d3ebc2274c82a684acebbe6c2a4.png

Both PC's are connected via WiFi via an Eero due to apartment living limitations, the device should have at least a 500mbits/s link.

The server log is here:

towerlog.txt

The diagnostics are here:

tower-diagnostics-20221019-0130.zip

Changes I made to the system that weren't default:

* added i915.force_probe=4680 to Global Configuration in Flash memory settings

* ran echo "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Things I've tried for this issue:

* Turned on reconstruct write.

* Tried Fix Common Problems

* Changed CAT5e cable to CAT6

* Restarted all devices

* Turned off VT-D

I have also since installed a few apps and plugins, but this issue was present before that.

I've browsed a tonne of unraid forum posts, reddit posts, other forum posts, but it doesn't seem like many have my issue, and their fixes doesn't seem to fix my issue. Currently at my wits end debugging this, TrueNAS is looking very appealing but I do like the functionality and community of Unraid so I'd like to stick it out and fix this if possible.

Thanks in advance guys. Let me know if there's anything I should add.

• Solution

First of all you should ask yourself why both machines are not within the same LAN (subnet) and WHO is transfering packets between both LANs.

I have strong doubts that this is a single router, maybe your packets are forwarded to mars and return through a different gateway?

Check your routing, you may get a surprise.

The routing is as such:

Unraid Server ---(via Ethernet)---> NF18Mesh <---(via Ethernet)--- eero mesh <---(via Wireless)--- eero mesh as extender <---(via Wireless)--- PC

So my suspicion after confirmation by you guys is that it's definitely something in the chain causing the issue.

And after I typed the above I thought to check the network speed and lo and behold:

image.png.6e8c9096e65f23fc364e334e0b2fec71.png

Limited by wireless signal strength. Don't trust the network speed reported on the box for wireless because signal strength will mess with it.

The 2kbyte/sec transfer speed sorted itself out after disconnecting the network drive and reconnecting, so we'll chalk that one up to Windows being the best operating system of all time. /s

Network issue. I'm stupid. Thanks everyone.

Edited by LaurenceYe