Migrating files to unRAID maintaining all attributes

thany
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

So I'm now about to migrate my eldery NAS, to unRAID. The NAS in question happens to be a Synology box, and I can mount it over NFS no problem.

What I'm still looking for, is a way to migrate the files over, and make it go server-to-server directly, so without a client in between managing everything. This way files don't have to be pulled over the network twice (server->client->server vs server->server).

I'm also looking to maintain all attributes - creation dates, modification dates, and file flags like "readonly" and such. I don't need to keep permissions (iow, the copy process doesn't need to attempt to do anything about permissions).

I guess I could do this from either end. I just don't know how. My thoughts:

* Go into the Synology GUI and just copy. I haven't checked yet if this keeps dates & attributes. Actions like these keep going when closing the GUI, so that's a plus.

* Go into the unRAID GUI and use some kind of plugin to copy. It would have to continue copying when I close the GUI.

* Go into the unRAID terminal and use some kind of command. It would have to continue copying when I close the terminal, but I don't think a linux terminal works that way.

Are there any other options? Or what you recommend?

Okay thanks. Two questions though:

1. Will rsync continue doing its thing when I close the terminal? I don't want to have a client powered on just to maintain a connection to a terminal.

2. Can you point me to an example command? I remember rsync command can be verbose and hard to grasp (for me at least).

• Solution
1 hour ago, thany said:

1. Will rsync continue doing its thing when I close the terminal? I don't want to have a client powered on just to maintain a connection to a terminal.

It will if you use the physical console, not SSH, you'd need screen or similar.

1 hour ago, thany said:

2. Can you point me to an example command? I remember rsync command can be verbose and hard to grasp (for me at least).

rsync -avX /path/to/source/ /path/to/dest/