6.11.1 Time Machine is totally unreliable

After upgrading from 6.9.2 to 6.11.1 my entire Time Machine setup got majorly screwed up. I have 6 Macs backing up to this time machine share and outta of all 6 only the Sierra one continue to work under 6.11.1  All other 5 stopped working. 

I even started with a brand new Time Machine share from scratch, it works somehow, but all machines at some point during the backup they just get disconnected. Tried different settings on the share as well.  am 1000% is not the network as I plugged one of my macbooks next to the UnRaid port, so I know that is switch rock solid.  It is something in 6.11.1 like Samba or other settings that could screw this up?  Anyone else with this sort of issues or is just me? I am super irritated as I have to put in so much work and get this back and running.  I should've stay with 6.9.2 :(

Edited by johnwhicker
  • Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, LAST said:

I have the same problem with my Hackintosh OS 12.6. With Unraid 6.10 my backups ran without any problems. Since I upgraded to 6.11.1, the backup crashes after a few minutes. However, the problem does not seem to exist on my MacBook under MacOS 13.0.

Yeah is 6.11.1    I booted back on 6.9.2 and did a full 400Gb backup on the same MacBook with ZERO issues. I am absolutely annoyed when things don't work :( 

Yeah 24 hours later and I am still fighting the same issue. My new M1 16" Macbook Pro finished its backup in one shot over wireless, 800GB, but I have other 4 Macs that are constantly getting disconnected from the Time Machine share during the backup.  Something is very wrong and inconsistent here and I have no idea how and where to start troubleshooting it

Don't know if this will help but wanted to point it out-

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/macos-optimization-r2087/

My current smb-fruit.conf settings-

# global parameters are defined in /etc/rc.d/rc.samba
# current per-share Unraid OS defaults
vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
#fruit:resource = file
fruit:metadata = stream
#fruit:locking = none
fruit:encoding = native
#fruit:veto_appledouble = yes
fruit:posix_rename = yes
#readdir_attr:aapl_rsize = yes
#readdir_attr:aapl_finder_info = yes
#readdir_attr:aapl_max_access = yes
#fruit:wipe_intentionally_left_blank_rfork = no
#fruit:delete_empty_adfiles = no
#fruit:zero_file_id = no
# these are added automatically if TimeMachine enabled for a share:
#fruit:time machine
#fruit:time machine max size = SIZE

These settings are working well for me with Monterey and Ventura.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2022 at 1:15 PM, johnwhicker said:

After upgrading from 6.9.2 to 6.11.1 my entire Time Machine setup got majorly screwed up. I have 6 Macs backing up to this time machine share and outta of all 6 only the Sierra one continue to work under 6.11.1  All other 5 stopped working. 

I have the same problem and just found out about this docker; haven't tried it yet... maybe you have?

Update: so far so good on one Mac... backing up another now and will update.

Update 2: on Mac #2, TM completes the initial backup, but will not make subsequent backups and I'm out of ideas. :(

Mac 1 (working) - Ventura, one TM backup; on unRAID

Mac 2 (not working) - Big Sur, two TM backups; unRAID and Local

Both share the same TM login/instance of the docker.

I'll post this info to the support thread and see how that goes.

Edited by Joseph