[solved] 6.10.2 2 drives missing, only 1 parity drive

fedep
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

First thing first, it's my fault.

months ago i added a couple more disks to my array. a couple hours later i heard weird noises coming from the machine, the kind of noise an HDD arm does when it's not working properly. fearing one of my old disks was about to go, to avoid having to buy a new one i set one of the drives to "no device" in Main and restarted the array.

the disk run in the array for a couple hours at most and i doubt there was much inside when i took it off, but the 5 disk in my array was still marked with a red "x" - for a couple months.

yesterday the drive that was making weird noises (disk 3) died and i need to replace it, i have the new disk to replace it, but it's not the disk i was keeping aside (that one is gone, i can't use it at all) so i can't start the array with it as the disk 5, remove it properly and then use it as the new disk 3.

i can't replace the disk because Array Operation indicate "Too many wrong and/or missing disks!".

i would prefer to avoid losing the data from an entire disk if possible. is it? possible?

btw before coming here i restarted the machine a couple times to see if i could get the disk to work a little bit more. so no system log for you. i'm uploading the diagnostic anyway if you need it for something.

tower-diagnostics-20221029-1624.zip

Edited by fedep
attach diagnostics
  • fedep changed the title to [solved] 6.10.2 2 drives missing, only 1 parity drive