DOES HBA + SSD TRIM WORKS IN V6.11.2?

Kuusoft
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi,

I read a lot of posts regarding the SSD trim command does not work over the LSI-92xx card, which was detected as:
(Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)).

Since Unraid V6.11, the SSD Trim has now become part of the system. Is this issue fixed? Or are we still unable to have SSD over HBA with LSI SAS2008 PCIe to trim properly?

Thank you

P.S.

I have been running Windows Server for over 20+ years, and I only recently entered the Unraid world (about 1 month), and it is awesome!

17 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

My understanding is that it is a HW limitation of the HBA, not Unraid.

Interesting, I saw someone say it works at a certain version, but later it no longer works.

Is there a list of HBA that works with SSD trim? I am planning to create a 24-bay SSD DAS connected to the controller.

10 hours ago, JorgeB said:

LSI 9300 series support trim  but only on devices with deterministic read zeros after trim support.

Great, will look into LSI-9300 and SSD with that feature.

If I want to get full performance for my 10Gb lan, is there a way to use maybe 24 hard-drive and somehow stripe it and still get some redundency? (This will be used as large & fast "cache", it will be moved to array afterwards. Is there any way to configure the cache to do something similar to RAID5 or RAID6?

14 minutes ago, Kuusoft said:

If I want to get full performance for my 10Gb lan, is there a way to use maybe 24 hard-drive and somehow stripe it and still get some redundency? (This will be used as large & fast "cache", it will be moved to array afterwards. Is there any way to configure the cache to do something similar to RAID5 or RAID6?

Currently only with btrfs, soon you should be able to use zfs, though you can use zfs now with a plugin, btrfs raid5/6 still has some known issues, it can be used, I do in multiple pools, but also have good backups.