Transfer license key to new USB flashdrive - is the guide missing a step?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I attempted to transfer my license key from my very old 16GB flash drive to a new 64GB Samsung.

I followed the guide here: https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Changing_The_Flash_Device - I used the USB Creator tool and this  section "Using the Flash Creator"

All went as expected, I then powered down unRAID, removed the old flashdrive, inserted the new one, but it says "No bootable devices found"

I think I can fix this by running the make_bootable, but it doesn't mention in the steps, so do I need to do this? Or is it because I'm using a 64GB flashdrive?

I rebooted unRAID with the old flashdrive, and it's all as expected, just the same before I attempted the proceedure.

When following the guide, there is no option to choose UEFI, it looks exactly like the screenshots in the above guide - I tried it again any way, same result.

I have also tried a 32GB flash drive, different brand, same result.

If I select "Stable" from the Select Version, I'm then get more options, and UEFI is is checked by default, I can also set static IP, hostname and whatnot, is the way I should create it?

image.png.6518a54a5839f79b48e1e702a93d0072.png

Edited by fishface
3 hours ago, fishface said:

When following the guide, there is no option to choose UEFI, it looks exactly like the screenshots in the above guide - I tried it again any way, same result.

I think that will be because when restoring from a local backup file the tool is assuming you want the same settings as are in the backup.

My BIOS is legacy, the config file that is created using zip flash backup that I created, after using the USB Flash Creator has "EFI -" which I believe the "-" signifies legacy.

BIOS doesn't have Secure Boot, nor UEFI.

I want to keep my settings if possible, hence the use of the "Local Zip", using the settings below, I always get "No boot device found", I have tried a 32GB flashdrive, same issue.
So, is there another way to transfer my current license to a new flashdrive, as the below is not working for me.

image.png.33ee39e1707763db33701de8a7dc1cb6.png

Should I run the make_bootable?

image.png.dd39ca92e717266d4cc2a11e1f5dce59.png

Edited by fishface

The manual method worked.

I did try another Sandisk Cruzer, like the one that was working, that also failed.

One more question, I'm building a new server, and I will use this USB flashdrive with it, I know I can in theory just plug it into the new server and it should all work, I assume I will have to assign parity drive and disk etc, but will it keep all the shares, disk configs and whatnot?

I'm about to purchase another unRAID license so I can still use the old rig, makes data migration easier as well.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Edited by fishface