Problem while transferring files from one disk to another

guigz
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

So I'm replacing a number of smaller drives with a couple new juicy 4 TB drives in my array. Looking up in the unRaid wiki, I found the procedure for moving files from one disk to another.

I used Putty to login to the server and entered the command (note the forgotten & in that command)

nohup mv /mnt/disk1/ /mnt/disk4/

There was a message about nohup being directed to nohup.out and nothing else seemed to happen. I entered the command a couple more times because I noticed the missing & but the same message poped up and nothing else. The system log didn't show any transfer activity.

I used windows explorer to navigate to the disk I'm moving data from and noticed that the files aren't there anymore. However, they aren't on the disk I moved them to either. Stopping and restarting the array didn't change anything.

The files are still available if I go to the shares folders in windows explorer. Similarly, if I use the webui and click on the drive itself, I can access and download the files that should have been moved. I can also see that missing files are still accounted for in the data that the webui says is contained on that disk (same amount of GB are in use)

How can I fix this?

Below are the screenshots

The problem is that the missing files aren't visible in windows explorer but are "visible" through the webui. They are accessible via the Shares but not the disks. I want to transfer all the data from disk 4 to another because I'll be shrinking the array.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 114538.jpg

Screenshot 2022-12-14 114639.jpg

Ok, did this with midnight commander and now when I try to stop the array, I get:

Spinning up all drives...Stopping services...Sync filesystems...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)

Still doing it 5 minutes later...

Edited by guigz
still doing it

Ok, this is insane.

I renamed the share disk4 to another name, deleted that share, rebooted, confirmed that neither disk4 nor the other named share was there. Then I tried to movev the files again using putty and the command "mv /mnt/disk4/ /mnt/disk1/" and it created a user share called disk4 again!!! What the heck??