Parity check not finishing

loady

14 hours ago, loady said:

is that to say i start safe mode with GUI but no plugins and then disable the dockers manually one by one ?

Starting in safe mode disables all plugins, you can then also disable VM and docker services, and if stable, start enabling one by one, including individual containers and VMs, if that's not practical, you can try the other way, that is, still in safe mode, but only disable on VM or one container, if still issues enable that one and disable the next.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Starting in safe mode disables all plugins, you can then also disable VM and docker services, and if stable, start enabling one by one, including individual containers and VMs, if that's not practical, you can try the other way, that is, still in safe mode, but only disable on VM or one container, if still issues enable that one and disable the next.

so i started in safe mode GUI no plugins, there were no VM's running (stopped) and i stopped all the dockers, parity check started but its just hung at 2.3%, it never completes parity check, it either hangs or the server crashes and have to hard reboot...safe to say its not the dockers or anything ?...time to start testing the RAM sticks ?

warptower-diagnostics-20240512-1545.zip

18 hours ago, loady said:

time to start testing the RAM sticks ?

That's a good place to start, start by running memtest, but note that memtest is only definitive if it finds errors, if you have multiple sticks you can also try with just one, if the same try with a different one, that will basically rule out bad RAM, next suspects after that would be PSU, board, CPU.

On 5/13/2024 at 10:06 AM, JorgeB said:

That's a good place to start, start by running memtest, but note that memtest is only definitive if it finds errors, if you have multiple sticks you can also try with just one, if the same try with a different one, that will basically rule out bad RAM, next suspects after that would be PSU, board, CPU.

So, popped the lid, removed one of the two RAM sticks, fired up server in safe mode and left all dockers running, been up for two days now, started a parity check yesterday and has finished, do the diags look better ? next i will swap sticks over, could it also be the RAM slot and not the actual RAM ?

warptower-diagnostics-20240521-0902.zip

1 hour ago, loady said:

next i will swap sticks over, could it also be the RAM slot and not the actual RAM

It could be.   It could also be simply the fact of having the extra RAM module installed where each one checks out fine individually, but you get failures when both installed.

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

It could be.   It could also be simply the fact of having the extra RAM module installed where each one checks out fine individually, but you get failures when both installed.

Well, that would be a bummer and about my luck...at least i have stability for now, running on one stick of 8GB

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been up and fine for well over a week and running in normal mode with no crashes after removing one stick of RAM... however, i started to notice the drives were chattering away by themselves and the GUI become less and less responsive, its not crashed like it was doing before but its not usuable and pressing power wont shut it down, the drives are going mad, have had to hard shut down and started up but stopped parity check this time, syslog and diags attached. loading things is painfully slow and just gets slower

syslog syslog-previous warptower-diagnostics-20240602-1047.zip

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Try booting in safe mode and/or closing any browser windows open to the GUI, only open when you need to use it then close again.

ideally i dont want to run in safemode constantly ? i just spun down all the drives and they have all spun up again, it was never doing this, three of the drives have errors though they are not red balled so i assume they are just warnings. Is it being caused because i only have one stick of 8GB RAM in it ?

Edited by loady